We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pipex Speedtouch Modem- No ethernet cable?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Im trying to set up my friend's new computer. He has given me a Pipex homecall set up CD and a very small 'Speedtouch' modem that appears to have no ethernet cable with it, just a usb lead to the PC and a normal telephone cable? Is this right? Shouldn't it be a wireless router?

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Sorry 2011

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes its normal for an old long term ISP contract.

The problem you may have is no Windows & drivers for the speed touch.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It's a Dial up modem. Ask him who is and what contract he has with his ISP. He might be paying way over the odds for a duff service.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Having been with Pipex until their demise with Talk Talk I can remember the old 56Kb dial up days and the first USB adsl Seedtouch modem which is as described in this post. Almost ancient and won't work effectively with the current broadband signal.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

As previously mentioned, this would appear to perhaps be a SpeedTouch 330 that was also on offer with the Sagem F@ST 800 E2T from the dial-up days.

Things have moved on since then, and far different and better router-modems are now being offered by TalkTalk.

I have recently purchased two Asus N DSL-N11 300Mbp router-modems, which seem to work very well on the LLU Tiscali/TalkTalk system. Both new via eBay, one from Argos Outlet for £16.98 delivered, and another from a normal eBay seller for £5.40 delivered. So at them prices, suggest you check out this and dispose of the SpeedTouch.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I got my wireless router for free from TalkTalk when they upgraded the phone Exchange to LLU. Just told them I had no way to access the new service when I signed up for it. (Actually I've got two now as they replaced a 'faulty' one when I had line problems, it wasn't the router that was faulty when they finally sorted it out) They put me in a NTE5 socket for free and new wiring.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

lotvic

Was the replacement router-modem a Huawei Echolife HG520b or something else?.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

I don't believe anyone has thought to ask if buel's friend has a broadband line available.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

spuds, they are both Huawei Echolife HG532, prior to getting them I used an old BT Voyager router.

ton, we are waiting for buel to get back to us on ISP and what service friend is signed up to.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Thanks for all your help. I have told my friend's dad and he is getting on to them. He said "Shall i ask them for an upgrade to a wireless router?" and i said "No, tell them you should have the upgrade". I'll keep you posted. Yes he has a broadband phone line.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......