We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook Express files into Outlook10

Mr. Chips

Likes # 0

Having had a problem with my old desktop PC under XP, and moved to using my laptop on Windows 7, I now want to get my old email files into Outlook 2010

I have managed to salvage the old hard drive and have all of the outlook Express .dbx files available ...

... But I can't see any way of pointing 2010 to them.

Also, is there a way of importing my old email lists?

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I assume that you have the.dbx files now on your Windows 7 laptop?
Have you tried in Outlook 10 clicking on file - import and export - and then finding the files?

Have a look at this article that gives different options on how to do this -

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Office Microsoft Suggest you read the page before doing the following (you don't want to inadvertently overwrite/delete any you already have in Outlook 2010

Import Outlook Express messages into Outlook

In Outlook, on the File menu, click Import and Export.

Click Import Internet Mail and Addresses, and then click Next.

Click Outlook Express.

Select the Import mail check box.

Click Next.

Click Finish.

To save a copy of the import summary to your Inbox, click Save in Inbox.

Like this post
Mr. Chips

Likes # 0

DiFran.

Yes, but there is no option to pull in the .dbx files.

Would it be worth converting from .dbx to .pst? Any idea which programme would be best to do so.

Like this post
Mr. Chips

Likes # 0

Iotvic,

I don't have Outlook Express running in the laptop and as such, the application cannot find the files. There doesn't seem to be any option to change directories.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You're going to have to download Windows Live Mail import the dbx (OE) files into that and then export from WLM to Outlook.

See Move OE to Outlook

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"any option to change directories" no, apparently the 'smarty wizard in Outlook 2010 doesn't give you that option. It just goes to look on same harddrive as itself for OutlookExpress/WLiveMail.

I found this ClickHere, it's a bit jumbled but it seems you have to move them to Windows Live Mail on new pc then import them to Outlook 2010. Also read this as it says you have to have Outlook 2010 32bit version.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

lotvic - I don't understand why it should make any difference between 32 and 64 bit and unless Outlook 2010 is different then there is the one version installed.

My post 6.33 and the link gives fairly clear instructions using WLM.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Having read Woolwell's link and others I note that "When you export from Windows Live Mail to Outlook, the message headers are missing" that's a bummer.

It also seems a right faff moving from OE to Outlook. I think I'd be inclined to redownload/collect email from that stored on webmail servers straight into Outlook.

If I had a lot that weren't on Webmail server and only had .dbx store folders saved, I'd consider as an alternative importing them to WLM and forwarding them to myself, then collect using Outlook. (I'd prob try a few to see how it turned out)

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I wonder if you need to tick "show hidden files and folders" in Folder Options to be able to find them.

I believe that you may then need to use WLM as advised by Woolwell.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The problem as always is the different file formats that MS use (dbx, pst) and it is almost as if they deliberately set out to make it difficult to transfer from one to the other.

This may make it clearer How to Outlook. Not sure why the message heading should go missing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...