We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 7 wants to format new SD card

//adz_w///

Likes # 0

hi, my partner recieved a new nikon coolpic s3200 with 2 8gb SD cards

i set up the camera about a week and a half ago and everything was working fine she recieved it today and took afew pictures

when we got home the card wasnt working i cant remember what the camera said

we too the sd card out, reset the camera and turned it on and off a few times

i decided to put the card into the laptop (windows 7 64 bit) and it said this

E:\ is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted." any sugestions?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

If the card wasn't working in the camera, it may well have become corrupted. I suggest you use the camera to format the card and take a couple of shots to ensure it is recording and then try it in the PC to view the pictures taken. If this works all should be fine, if not then you could try using the PC to format the card and try it in the camera but I'm not certain this will work.

The only other option is to obtain a new card and try that; if it continues to fail then I suggest the camera is at fault.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

An 8 GB SD card is actually HCSD so it may be that your laptop doesn't read this format. Something like Card reader should do the trick.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Sorry -SDHC not HDSC - I plead insanity (or a senior moment).

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

An ordinary SD card reader will only read a card up to 2GB. So check what sort you have in your laptop.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm probably mixed up about the cards. Just been trying to make sense of type by looking at wikipedia article.

I'll get me coat

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

lotvic You are correct - anything over 2 GB is SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity).

Like this post
//adz_w///

Likes # 0

hi guys,

the card reader in the camera is working fine as i have tried the second SD card so its not the camera

every time i turn the camera on it will go to a screen and say "camera is not formatted format card now? if i do this it says all images will be deleted

if i have the camera plugged into the computer it will say card unavailable

is there any way of recieving the images and how do i know what card reader it is in the laptop

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You have 2 cards, does the other card work ok? both in the camera and in your card reader on the laptop? and in the camera when camera is connected to computer?

The camera has internal memory separate to the cards (14.5MB internal memory according to the specs on Amazon) if the first card was non functional then I would think that the pictures that were taken will be on the internal memory.

Your laptop specs should tell you about the card reader if it is not marked on the slot.

You have two identical threads running. Consider closing one as it is getting confusing.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ooops sorry, make that: Internal memory approx. 42 MB ClickHere

Like this post
//adz_w///

Likes # 0

yeah i know i dont know why it did that ill close it when i figure out how to close it haha

yes the other card does work both in the camera and card reader also plugged into the laptop works fine but there is no pictures saved onto the internal memory

is there any posible ways of retrieving the pictures for example free recovery software?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......