We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No Text in Menus and Dialogs & Bad Image when starting a program after 30 minutes!

VOT Productions

Likes # 0

Hey you! (I'm using Windows XP)

I have a big problem.

After 30 minutes of using my PC, the first sign is that my start menu blanks out and I can only see the icons. The second sign is that my title bars and taskbar blanks out. Finally, if I'm working on a word document or chatting through Skype, the text inside it blanks. The point I'm trying to say is that every bit of text is now invisible.

Here's my second problem when it happens. I try to open up Task Manager and see what's actually causing the problem, I get an error. But, the problem is that I can't actually see what the error is because it's blank!

That's not all, when I try to access Chrome, I get a Bad Image error and the content of the dialog is, surprise surprise, blank.

All Programs is also emptied out and I get (empty) 70% of the time. The rest of the time I can't see that.

Now, here's the thing: If I go and hard reset my computer (because it won't let me shutdown through Windows), it goes back to normal! It's also not exactly 30 minutes, sometimes it can work to up to an hour.

Another thing is, when I try to install updates it doesn't give me the restart now option, just restart later!

Here's what I tried:

A Malwarebytes scan didn't reveal anything.

My Avast scan is half way through my HDD, but so far nothing.

TDSSKiller. Nope, nothing.

HijackThis doesn't show anything suspicious...

...nor does checking msconfig's Services and Startup tabs.

Could it be because of low disk space? I have 2GB left and I'm planning to buy a new HDD, but I'm wondering if that could be the problem.

VOT Productions

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If you have your original you try a Repair install of xp which will not affect any of your data it will just overwrite XP

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

That should read your original XP disc

Like this post
VOT Productions

Likes # 0

And XP came with my computer, so that's out of option.

Is there any possibility left?

Like this post
VOT Productions

Likes # 0

Next problem:

Steam.exe (main exception): Unable to load library SteamUI.dll, Win32 Error 5 "Access is denied"

I fixed it by changing permissions back, but they were screwed up for Steam's folder. Just a thing to note.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You may have a Recovery Partition to restore back to Factory settings. Since that wipes your disk, you would need to backup your files first.

All programs would also need to be reinstalled.

Or you could try making your own XP CD to do a Repair Install.

One quick thing you could try first is System File Checker.

Start Run sfc /scannow

What make and model is PC?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK