We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows xp lost files 7 years work on them

Linda Weir

Likes # 0

we lost some files for windows xp. my pc man says he can copy my old hard drive onto a new pc. i have to buy a pc from him (£100 dearer than online) plus set up and copy charges. he says if he rebuilds windows xp i will lose the files. so i can get my old pc rebuilt after the hard drive has been copied in total.

my question is , is this sort of service available now and is it reliable. i'd like to have options other than my usual man because , he is working full time and has lost his car.. i am without a pc and i need my files for my work. I have done rough bits of back up, but could never really do a full back up. i'd like to have a choice of where i can get this done and choose my own pc from whatever is available rather than being stuck to what he offers. linda

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Thank you for the extra information.

As lotvic says there's no need to buy yet another computer to rescue files from a moribund PC.

You can buy simply a powered case for your precious HD and this means removing the HD from your computer and sliding it into the case which has a USB lead to plug in to your second PC, which will be able to read it just as though it is an extra HD.

It should be realised that IF the original HD is itself expired,dead, and not something else, or corrupt Windows the simple way wont work. (still possible to have a professional laboratory work miracles for you but at a serious price).

The first fence for you to jump, is removing the HD from your late lamented PC. Having done that, you will be able to buy the correct HD case (ATA or SATA). Most likely the ATA variety in a PC of senior years.

Sorry, to have to stop here I have to attend to domestic stuff, but tomorrow I'll send a link to suitable how to DIY if someone else dosen't do it first.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

and to add to Diemmess's post - it's not hard, once side is off tower, just two cables to pull off the back of Harddrive and four screws to undo. Then put in caddy.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 1

I was unable to find a simple step by step story of how to remove the precious HD, needing only a small X-point screwdiver!

To start, do not try any more to boot the PC, you may actually lose some of the files you want to rescue.

The age of your dud computer means it almost certainly has an IDE or ATA hard disk. That doesn't matter until buy the case to hold and hopefully run it like any other extra drive plugged in to a computer that works.

So unplug everything so that you can handle its heavy box and get at it easily on a separate table.

Now look for screws on the left side of the computer as you face it. Really old computers had a variety of screws and things to undo, probably to deter meddlers, but yours will have two or four which will secure either a panel which slides off or (on oldest ones the whole top and sides will be removable).

Hopefully you know what your HD looks like, so remove two plugs from the back of the HD. You will see a similar arrangement to the back of your CD drive. One cable will be a sort of ribbon with many wires in it, the other will have a white plug and red black yellow and white wires. Each may be tight to remove but persist with a firm wriggle. the HD is ready to be removed from the computer. Again there is a variety of ways used by manufacturers to hold the drive in place but your ingenuity and pioneering spirit will find the way yours is secured.

Above all, a friend who has done this is worth everything for support.

If you get this far then I or someone else will take you over buying the USB enclosure/box/case, and fitting your rescued drive inside. Good luck and keep us posted.

If this all works out for you can eventually dispose of the original drive and fit a nice new one to carry copies of your files available on a drive which can be plugged in to another computer as needed.

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 1

Hi Linda as a silver surfer who plays around fixing friends and neighbours 'broken' pc's I have helped people with your problem a few times. As previously said by the good people on this site your existing hard drive can be simply and safely removed from your pc. It can then be connected as a 2nd. drive inside another pc or using a caddy to connect to another pc. I prefer to connect it inside another pc myself. I have talked my sister, who lives in Somerset whilest I am near Gatwick airport, through removing a hard drive and carrying out the things you need to do. I have used a free downloaded prog to recover all the files from a hard drive claiming to be unformatted. I am not really sure whether you have established if the hard drive itself is ok and windows is not loading or if the pc itself has died. If you want to have a go I am happy to be on the phone to guide you. Howard.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 1

Hello again

Having read through the rest of the posts I would go this http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-2.0-3.5-inch-hard-drive-housing-32139

I would not add your old HDD into your Windows 7 PC initially. Once you have recovered your files I would format the old HDD and with it still in the housing, use it as a backup drive that is then stored away from the computer.

Good luck.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

click here

A picture paints a million words - this should help get you started!

It really is quite easy.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It may be a simple repair install will get your machine going again without loss of data.

However I agree with everyone else, to be sure of getting back what is recoverable better to connect in a caddy or direct to another machine and retrieve data first.

Removing the drive see pictures here

An external case here

fitting the drive in the case here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?