We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Digital Camera Raw or Jpeg?

Newuser939

Likes # 0

My camera (a Panasonic FZ50) will take pictures in either RAW format or various qualities of Jpeg. In theory, the RAW format should produce a better image as data is discarded in producing a Jpeg picture. However, am I likely to notice much difference in practice if I just stick to the best quality Jpeg format? It is certainly a much smaller file size (about 4.5Mb compared with about 20Mb).

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Probably best to stick with jpg. Mainly because it is the most widely used and versatile format.

That is, unless you want to reproduce extra large pics.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

As you say RAW uses a larger amount of memory but produces a far better image. However, unless you intend to enlarge the image to poster size, a good jpeg is as good as you need.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Your camera should do both at the same time can you see any difference ? Also is Raw better quality the advantage of raw is it can be edited much more than than Jpeg so unless you are a really serious photographer not much point.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

It does depend on how much editing you intend to do. Jpeg is supported by most basic editing software, but it's not the most efficient editing format, as, because of the way it compresses data, every time you carry out an edit process, you lose some data.

Having said that, for a 6x4 print, 2Mp is ample. So, if you start with 4Mp, or more, you can do some editing, without it being an issue, provided you don't want to enlarge, substantially. With RAW, you get to keep virtually all your data, except when cropping. If you have the facility, Tiff format is supposed to be more data efficient than Jpeg, but doesn't use up the space of RAW. I tend to just use Jpeg, or RAW, depending on what "post" work I want to do.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

If you have Photoshop then RAW retains the original quality of the shot - like a negative. You could manipulate in RAW and save "snapshots as jpeg - which loses a bit each time it is modified, and good stuff as TIFF. You would need a bit more storage.If yiu wait a bit, the Guru on all this is Hssutton - hopefully he will see this and give a definitive answer!!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...