We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Googlemail

kim12

Likes # 0

Anyone have any ideas? I run XP SP3 which is usually very normal.

Just tried to view my gmail messages, but neither incoming or outgoing is visible except for 3 lonely items.(normally about 30 open items outgoing and about 50 incoming,) I definitely DID NOT erase the entries, and I can't find any way of getting them back.

I don't think System restore will recover them, would it?

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Have you tried sending an Email to yourself, and did it work?

Have you set up a spam program?, Is what you expected classed as Spam as Google might have filtered it out.

Have you changed the security settings.

Terry

Like this post
kim12

Likes # 0

Thanks Terry Email to myself works, but nothing else

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As there are several different ways of handling googlemail, can you tell us how you access yours? (for instance I can collect gmail pop in Outlook Express as well as logging in on Webmail gmail via my browser, there is also the IMAP way)

If you are on the Webmail page, have you clicked on 'All Mail' in the folders column?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

How are you viewing the emails.

Througha client like OE or directly through Gmail on the web.

System Restore would not help

Like this post
kim12

Likes # 0

I view directly from googlemail, incoming and outgoing. Beginning to think that I need a new PC - this has happened before, and I lost all my messages. I am pretty sure that I did not delete the stuff myself....my computing goes back to before DOS, although I am not as bright as I used to be. This is 3rd time I have lost all my mails

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"I view directly from googlemail" - I assume you do that using your internet browser. Is this Internet Explorer? Have you looked in the Bin folder? Are these old e-mails ie before 2009?

E-mails normally do not just disappear. They normally end up in a deleted folder first.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I recently experienced this, where received googlemail from weeks gone by were there and then suddenly only the current ones were displayed. I found that if I selected ALL they were there. I still cannot get my head round that. and I too, was there before DOS.

Like this post
kim12

Likes # 0

Woolwell, no, I use gmail directly. Never liked IE, and never use it. I have just been informed, by Compumac, who suggested that I try using the BIN. I did not even know that there was a bin, but thank goodness almost all of the messages have come back. Now I would like to know why they disappeared in the first plae, please. Don't THINK it was something that I did - never seen the "BIN" as it did not show on my list.

Compumac, enormous gratitude....but how can I be sure that it won't happen again? I definitely did NOT get rid of the emails.

Thanks everyone. Fingers crossed against the next time......

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

er I think that I suggested you look in the bin folder. They get moved to the bin folder when you delete them. You need to move them back to the inbox or they may go completely and then cannot be recovered. I am still not sure how you access the e-mails. Do you use Outlook Express or something like that? If you do not use IE what is your browser - Firefox or Chrome?

Like this post
kim12

Likes # 0

Woolwell, the "bin" folder had disappeared and re-appeared deep in my "contacts" folder. I had never even seen the "bin". I use Firefox. since you asked. Don't like IE at all. I have now found it and moved it up the list. Hopefully, I won't make the same mistake again - I have moved "Bin" much higher up the list, where, hopefully, I won't lose it! I take it I can move these "misplaced" items out of the bin and into the standard items?

Thanks to everyine - and, here is a good tip - DON'T GET OLD AND STUPID, LIKE I AM DOING REGULARLY!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote