We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

which wifi N card do i buy for compaq presario v6000

worcesterman47

Likes # 0

hi, i have just upgraded to sky fibre broadband but i cannot get full wifi speed due to my current wifi card not being an N one( i currently get 17 MB but approx 30MB is possible),i have asked on another forum which card i would need and i was told to buy the following one from amazon....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-WiFi-Link-5100-technology-based/dp/B007NYCNGK/ref=sr119?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1337258439&sr=1-19

but after installing it i get a black screen almost immediately saying that it is not supported & to remove it..i have tried several times with the same result, my current set up is as follows...WINDOWS VISTA SYSTEM, INTEL CENTRINO DUO PROCESSOR,has anyone got any help/suggestions etc, i have downloaded the very latest driver for the new card but still no joy..the current wifi card i am using is a ..Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945BG Network Connection so any help /advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Quoted: "Intel WiFi Link 5100 - Network adapter - PCI Express Mini Card - 802.11b, 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11n (draft 2.0) - only compatible with an Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology-based laptop."

Probably that's why your laptop is not supported.

Suggest you using following USB adapters:

Tenda Wireless-N300 USB Adapter click here

TP-Link TL-WN822N Wireless-N300 High Gain USB Adapter click here

Edimax Wi-fi 300n Usb Adapter click here

Netgear N300 Wireless USB Mini Adapter click here

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you want an internal card, I found Justop very helpful when I needed one for my HP netbook. I emailed them the model number and they recommended what to buy - HP/Compaq have a very strict list of what will work and what won't. I did try and deviate from their suggestion and it did not work but they took it back anyway and changed it for their original recommendation.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more