We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help needed to Turn on WiFi on Netbook

schmollies
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have a Zoostorm netbook but it will not connect to my home router. It does connect at my office, in hotspots and worked fine recently in the USA.

I have another larger Dell laptop & this connects no problem at home.

So it seems that the Wifi on the netbook must be working & the router must be working but why cant they connect with each other?

Using Windows 7, ISP is Talk Talk & the Router is a fairly old Siemens.

Any ideas? Ray

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

Have you entered the details of your home router (network name and password) into the netbook?

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

Ensure that Wifi is active, it may have been disabled in transport, Fn/F2 should turn the WiFi back on.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Check that security setting matches on both (WEP, WPA OR WPA2).

WPA2 is the recommended most secure.

Like this post
schmollies

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies so far.

To try & activate the WiFi, I have to press FN/F2 but nothing happens; ie the usual little light flickering light comes on to say it is active. Until I can "open" this I can't enter the router details into the netbook!

No problem with my other laptop. I am baffled!

Ray

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

schmollies

But you've already told us that the netbook's wi-fi works fine on other networks so it must be active.

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

I don't know the netbook you have schmollies, is there a Networkplaces icon in the Start menu? If there is you could add to a network.

Like this post
schmollies

Likes # 0

Hi Mr Clapton,

Sorry if I have confused you and others. I can turn the wifi on by pressing FN/F2 in other hotspots & log on to the internet,so yes the wifi does connect on the netbook.

It is just at home that I cannot turn on the wifi, when I press FN/F2 nothing happens. Until I can turn it on, I can't enter the router details.

Ray

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

So, at the risk of sounding facetious, why don't you go to one of those other hotspots, switch on the wi-fi, leave it switched on and then go home.

The wi-fi should still be active when you get home.

If it isn't, report back here.

On another note, why do you need to turn the wi-fi on and off, anyway?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Unless by 'turn on', you mean 'connect'? If so, you may be entering the wrong security code.

Like this post
schmollies

Likes # 0

Hi All,

Problem now solved. Wifi on netbook was not enabled.

Thanks for your help.

Ray

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...