We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Now THIS is odd... is my IP infecting my Laptops???

AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Well! Pete's Laptop has a problem (started yessterday) and Avast pops up the red warning EVERY time I even type one letter in search bar. It doesn't do this in Chrome, so IE9 only affected. Just had a thought, thinking about my Google Earth prob, and opened GE on Pete's laptop.. I GOT THE EXACT SAME MESSAGE * Google Earth could not contact the authentication server to activate your session.....*

IS IT POSSIBLE do you think, that infection of some sort is attacking our laptops via our IP??

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe reset IE9 and see if that helps.

Have you tried the Avast website to see if it is a possible false positive.

Now I have just run the fix it for this problem probably nothing to do with your problem but you never know.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2719662

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Must confess buteman, Morning by the way, never knew IE9 COULD be reset... howd'ya do that? I don't use it - FF is my preference...

Ange x

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

but more importantly, how are BOTH of the laptops, and we don't share files, playing up with Google Earth??

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Reset I/E. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737#appliesto

Looks like you have been having problems with Google earth. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4159070/google-earth--just-not-working-correctly/

Are you using using compatibility view under tools.See if it allows Google earth.if so and you have compatibility mode switched on switch it off and see if it works ok then.

I should have warned you about the reset it removes your favorites.Maybe you can transfer them back from another browser.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

As far as I am aware the reset does not remove your favorites. Clearing parts of history/personal settings does.

As both system are having the same problem then I would consider having a look at the router (power down and on again to start with) or is your ISP blocking a site?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok another one to check under tools is Tracking protection make sure it is not set to automatic and nothing is blocked.

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Hi buteman, Are you using using compatibility view under tools No. Nothing in IE9 compatibility view, and can't see where it is in GE, if there IS a setting there.

Ahh!!!! There was quite a few 'Google Earth's mentioned in the 'tracking protection' window, all were ' undecided/allow ' so I set them all to 'allow' and just opened and closed GE a few times and seems ok. However, just looked at Pete's laptop, the one that's got the red avast pop up even if as I open IE9, and there are LOADS of sites,all blocked; each content provider has 30 sites. Dunno what to do about this one...

Hi woolwell, I think it's highly unlikely my IP is blocking, but I am onto them about this anyway - will wait and see what they say!

Many thanks both of you,

Ange xx

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It is not the ISP but IE that appears to be blocking sites. But why? Seem to have solved the Google Earth snag though!

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Huh!!!!! Well that didn't last long. Just opened/closed GE a couple of times, that bloody window appearing again, * Google Earth could not contact the authentication server to activate your session.....*

A xx

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

I could ditch this IE9 version and d/l an earlier version, couldn't I?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'