We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop won't connect to wireless router

snowy30

Likes # 0

I now have another problem, a problem that has me stumped.

My laptop won't connect to the wireless router. It connected before, but now as I went to use it today, it wouldn't connect, and I tried about everything I could think of.

My laptop is a Dell Inspirion 1525 using Windows Vista, and my wireless router is a TPLink router. The router works as I can connect my smartphone, and my Blu_ray player through it. I resetted the router many a time using a small screwdriver but each time on opening a browser I gets a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it in the system tray. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless card; I tried using WEP and an open unsecured network - as the laptop never connects using WPA-Personal, I've always used WPA2 using encryption TKIP, but for some reason it couldn't connect. I even used encryption method AES, but still it wouldn't connect. Even obtaining IP adress automatically doesn't solve the problem.

This has happened since I've connected my laptop via ethernet cable, when I was having trouble with my main (tower) computer last week. I even tried disabling ethernet port, but nothing seems to work

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Do you have a wireless button (usually on the front of laptop)? If so make sure you haven't accidentally set it to OFF.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

There is a wireless on off switch on your laptop Click Here for the manual and scroll down to Right Side View.

Like this post
snowy30

Likes # 0

I am well aware of the on/off switch on the side, but for some reason the laptop won't connect

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

That's good, then have you followed the Dell troubleshooting guide for Internet connection problems?

Like this post
rhianlopez

Likes # 0

Before doing anything be sure that the networks are properly set-up, the buttons are pressed including that of the laptop and that the wifi option of the router is "ON" also that the dsl is connected to the router in the correct place. If still it will not work, check the settings of the wifi adapter if there's a password, that the password was entered properly. Try also to set-up again the network connection, check this guide for help http://www.techyv.com/questions/how-set-wireless-connection

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014