We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changing To iMac (I hope)

Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I use Virgin Cable for my PC but am considering changing to a new iMac 27" model computer.

I have phoned Virgin to ask if there will be any problems if and when I change over. The lady on the other end of the phone assured me there would be none. But as I am not entirely convinced I thought I would ask on here.

Anybody using the Virgin cable and an iMac available for comment please?

There are other questions as well such as transferring things like Photo-shop etc. But mainly I want to know if things are compatible?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The Internet works just as well with a Mac as it does with a PC.

However, most PC/Windows Software will not work on a Mac.

Macs come with a very strong Suite of Programs, particularly on the Media Editing side, as standard.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Thanks wee eddie for that. It is the cable bit that I am thinking of. Already had a little chat with Brumas who I know changed over to an iMac about a year or so ago. He has been full of information and says I am doing the right thing.

I know the techie boys and girls are good on this forum, so decided this may be the place to find out things about changing over from PC and Windows.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

With you photoshop files they are normally PSD extentions. As Photoshop is an Apple (Apple/Mac) system, there should be no problems with transferring over.

Terry

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Terry Brown. Many thanks for that. I also have a couple of thousand-plus iTunes on my PC, but I think they will change over seamlessly. I hope so anyway.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

They will.

You'll have no internet connection problems with your new Mac, but you'll need to obtain Mac versions for any software applications you currently have on your PC.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

FE. I suppose that means there will be more cash to pay out? Ah well, I can't take it with me.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

You could always dual boot into the Mac OS or Windows and have the best of both worlds !

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

As regards your Itunes music/video, I suggest back them to an external Harddrive, then when you get your new computer or/and you could like the advice from Itunes about transferring .

itunes info

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1373

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......