We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have I got a Virus?

Old Fogey12

Likes # 0

Every time I use my computer I am advised by AVG that I have a virus and have to mess about removing it. Sometimes it advises me it is imposible to remove using advanced techniques and do I still wish to remove it, I always say yes. I started to write down some of the details (unfortunately not always all of them) and shall be most grateful if someone can advise me what is going on and what I need to do. I have noticed that when trying to access websites my computer is running far more slowly than it did 6 months ago but wonder whether this is due to it only having 1MB of RAM? I regularly run Glary Utilities, AVG free, Malwarebytes and Spybot. The info I have to hand is as follows: C:\Documents and settings\Allusers\Applications Data\ca...Trojan horseGeneric28.BCBO C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Desktop.ini Trojan horse Generic28.AUQH C:\Documents & Settings\HP\Local Settings\Temp\wbptO.dll IDP.Program.BOA5CO Downloader C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\acpi.sys Trojan horse Agent3.WJV C:Documents Trojan horse Generic12.CFPO
C:\WINDOWSTrojan horse Generic_r.AWX The Trojan horse Generic28 crops up regularly. Many thanks, Jon

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Which OS (Windows - XP/Vista/W7) are you using?

It may be that you do have a problem, but equally it may be a 'false positive' indication. A quick search revealed others finding similar problems (for example on the AVG site) which were difficult to resolve.

I could be you need to clear System Restore, do a full scan, reboot and re-enable System Restore to resolve this. If you need help in carrying out the work let us know but identify your OS as procedures vary slightly.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Make sure that your MalwareBytes is up-to-date, then re-start in Safe Mode. Then run a Full scan - this can take some time depending on how much data you have on your PC. To get into Safe Mode, repeatedly tap F8 during start-up.

MalwareBytes should find the Nasties and then, if I remember correctly, will ask/advise you what you want to do about them, you may get the options to Clean/Cure/place in Quarantine, or it may do it automatically. Any of those options should then see your PC running smoothly again.

It might even help to also do the same with your Spybot.

After all the above, run Glary Utilities One=click Maintenance.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Some possibilities:

McAfee do a Stinger, which, as far as I know, is a Free Stand-alone Virus Checker.

When you clear a Virus, it makes sense to remove your Restore Points as Viruses can hide there.

Be aware: Malwarebytes deals with Malware not Viruses.

While Cookie removal is unlikely to affect you security position, it could be a useful part of your Maintenance Armoury. I use CCleaner

Like this post
Old Fogey12

Likes # 0

Thak you all very much for your excellent advice, I will try what you have suggested and hopefully your suggestions will sort out my problems. As someone who knows very little about computers you cannot imagine how reassuring your help has been. Thanks again to all. Jon

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

you could always uninstall AVG and try avast AVAST ERstern Shiver me timbers

Like this post
steve1time

Likes # 0

johndrew and Nontek 's advise are both good advice as some of the more devious male-ware do reside in system restore. You can also download a second level of protection such as, http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html. Its also a good idea to have a full system backup handy just in case, have a look at some of these free backup/restore utility's http://download.cnet.com/windows/backup-software/?tag=contentBody;sideBar.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......