We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A complete noob asks will this work for my 1st pc build?

03one20
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am considering building my own pc and would like advice on pretty much everything start to finish, so the first things i was planning on getting (1 component a month at the mo as money is tight!) are as follows AMD APU A8-3870K Black Edition/Asus F1A75-M PRO AMD A75 Socket FM1 Motherboard/ XFX DD Black Edition Radeon HD 7750 AMD Graphics Card - 1GB/Corsair 30GB Accelerator Series SSD/Seagate 250GB IDE PATA Hard Drive ST3250820A 7200rpm. Would this work, i mean are they all compatible, performance etc. i want to use it for gaming but i dont need to be at max settings, just running them comfortably. and general pc use; surfing downloading music etc. any advice would be great. BTW i know nothing about clock speeds and Ghz

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 1

Don't know much about system building but you definitely don't want anything IDE. Any HDDs or optical drives should be SATA.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 1

Certainly agree re SATA drives, but check EXACTLY what is supported by mobo.

Obviously depends on your budget (and how prepared you are to "shop around"), but other minor observations:

64GB is a much more practical size of SSD, and probably only marginally more expensive. Corsair are good, but Samsung 830's a good alternative.

Graphics card is reasonable, but if you can stretch by £20/£30, the HD6850 or better still HD6870, are better value.

I'm more familiar with Intel and nVidia, so please double check compatibilities.

Like this post  
03one20

Likes # 0

Thanks Guys, much appreciated!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Dump the 30GB SSD as prices are quite ridiculously cheap that you would to better getting a 128GB. This will cost a little under £60 whilst a 30GB will cost around £50.

Motherboard

CPU

As frybluff says upgrade at least to the 6850 it is much better than the 7750 Compare,

You do not mention RAM, something like this RAM if you are only installing a 32BIT operating system, double it if it is 64BIT

Like this post
03one20

Likes # 0

cool beans, nice one. with regards to RAM, i already have 4gb RAM by Crucial, was just gonna double that, i am on a 64bit OS.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite