We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Canon MG 5250 - printing from rear tray

Trenny
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a new Canon MG 5250 printer and am trying to set it up so that I can select which tray to print from as I use different types of A4 paper (ie I sometimes use up old paper which has printing on one side.) I just cannot find the directions to do this in the manual. Most of the time I want to print just one document from the rear tray.

many thanks, as always.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You should be able to go to Devices & Printers - right click on your Printer and select Printing Preferences - under Tab for Printing Shortcuts select Paper Source - there you should have a choice of Trays

Like this post  
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I have a slightly different Canon printer, but it operates in a similar way. To be honest, I find that it is a bit hit and miss in its selection of trays from which to print and will sometimes print from the cassette even if I select rear tray as the source.

I find the only guaranteed way is to pull out the cassette tray before printing. It should, in theory, be possible to set one tray up as the dafault and just change it to the other tray when required by selecting PRINT from the main menu (do NOT use the print icon on the toolbar). Under "Properties" you can select the paper source as a one-off after which the default applies again. But, as I say, on my printer it does not always work so I finish up pulling out the cassette tray.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

My Canon printer also has a little switch that allows you to manually select either the rear or the cassette and this overrides the default. You just have to remember to toggle it back again when you have finished using the non default tray (or you will get as I often do, a section of the crossword copied from the newspaper on beautiful high definition glossy photo paper).

Like this post
Trenny

Likes # 0

I have solved this now. When the printing window opens go to printer properties and there is a box for selecting where the paper is coming from. I hadn't noticed this before.

Like this post
Trenny

Likes # 0

There is aso a box to tick for 'always print with current settings.' Thanks all. Pulling out the tray is a good idea, in case it reverts. On to the next problem...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...