We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless routers

CyprusJohn
Resolved

Likes # 0

I live in a house with reinforced concrete floors. I can not get a good signal upstairs nor indeed further away than 10-15 metres with my supplied Thomson WiFi router. What should I look for in a new WiFi router to replace my current one?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Try Homeplugs - very easy to use, simply plug & play!

click here

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

I fully agree with Nontek's recommendation. I had the same problem, connecting my wife's PC to the router via wireless. With homeplugs she now has a reliable connection, with almost no loss in speed compared to my PC which is hard wired to the router.

I bought mine from ebuyer where there is a good selection.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pricelow&store=8&cat=&subcat=3244&limit=10&page=1

Like this post  
CyprusJohn

Likes # 0

What a good idea. Thanks for that, I will order them today. Much better than broadcasting to the neighbourhood.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I think you can also put a Wireless Range Extender on the other end of the Homeplug to get further WiFi.

Like this post
CyprusJohn

Likes # 0

I am gratefull for all the comments. I now have to decide which one, they all say different things but I suspect i will have to swallow the pride and go to a shop!!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

These are what I use -

They are excellent, and I notice that they have reduced in price by about £10 since I bought mine some time ago.

Initially a Pair are required, after that, any number of extra Homeplugs may be added.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Possibly stating the obvious, but if you want wireless in the far rooms, make sure you buy one wired (connects to router) and one wireless home plug (wireless ones are more expensive). An example is here Others are cheaper, but I have had some problems with some of the budget ones.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

In my experience Wired Homeplugs are best - i.e. more Secure and slightly Faster then Wireless!

I have used both!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Nontek - I agree, but he did say he was getting a poor wireless signal. I use a pair of wired homeplugs, then pluged in an old wireless router to the far one as a wireless access point - best of both worlds!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

onthelimit1 - true, but what if he does not have another spare router? Using Homeplugs he does not need another router.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...