We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP PC shuts down, even in Safe Mode

Flopper

Likes # 0

Sorry if this is a double posting as my earlier attempt seemed to disappear. I have a PC running XP Home which constantly shuts down (not rebooting) even while booting into Safe Mode although it occasionally gets to the desktop and then shuts down. I don't know the full spec as it doesn't get that far.

My initial thoughts are to (a) uninstall recent updates as a process of elimination (b) run a full virus and malware check (c) reinstall XP Home

Any other suggestions?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

if an oldish computer check the air vents are clear of dust and fluff if so inside will also need cleaning.Make sure the fans are clean and working and the heatsink on top of the CPU is also clear.

Amazing how much dust gets inside a computer in a year or two.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Good advice indeed from buteman as it sounds very much like overheating, so pay particular attention to the fan sitting atop the processor (CPU)as that is likely to be the culprit if it is an overheating problem.

I find a soft paint brush and a vacuum cleaner do a good job. But it would be useful to know what age is the PC? Make and model of PC is also helpful.

Like this post
Flopper

Likes # 0

Sorted it. It was in fact full of Malware and a thorough scan with SuperAntiSpyware cleared up the problem and it seems OK now. I checked internally and it is quite clean with all the fans working properly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes