We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

2 seagate plug and play hard drives crashed not recognised

patso

Likes # 0

Hi both my own and my sons seagate plug and play hard drives have crashed.we both have windows 7 and i done the usual right click computer and manage disc management neither drive being seen.microsoft site just answering other people who have this question with another question,not much use,my drive is a 250 gig and my sons a 500 gig,any help please,i tried the usual plugging to other pcs and changing usb leads with no success,it smells of some sort of update?theres a lot of music and videos backed up on these drives so it is a major worry,thanks

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

have you tried turning pc off then back on? take the Drive out before turning on then plug it in when its fully up and running

Like this post
patso

Likes # 0

yeah tried that that was the first port of call but no luck thanks woodchip

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Right Click on My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager Have a look for things untoward coloured icons red crosses etc

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS you can also check to see if Disc Manager can see them when plugged in As above but instead of Hardware choose Manage/Disc Manager see if it can see the drives

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What is the model name of the ext drives?

I've read on a few reviews that there's a prob with the soldering coming undone on the USB port on the case. If that's what's happened to yours then your data should still be ok on the drives inside.

You could either contact Seagate or take casing apart and use the drive without the casing. A bit of a 'devil and deep blue sea' situation. if you send it back to seagate - you lose your data. If you take casing apart - you may save your data but won't be able to send it back to seagate for repair/replace. Of course if drives are no longer under warranty then Seagate won't be interested anyway.

Like this post
patso

Likes # 0

the drive is called seagate expansion portable drive 500 gig not showing in device manager and not showing in manage disc managementi also tried it in my pc as well as my sons and not showing in either,i have toshiba satellite c660 4 gig ram windows 7 intel core I3 so no system problems,any ideas thanks again and sorry for the late reply as i was working.

Like this post
patso

Likes # 0

the drive is called seagate expansion portable drive 500 gig not showing in device manager and not showing in manage disc managementi also tried it in my pc as well as my sons and not showing in either,i have toshiba satellite c660 4 gig ram windows 7 intel core I3 so no system problems,any ideas thanks again and sorry for the late reply as i was working.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You could try running TestDisK

Click Hear

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Are other things plugged into the usb ports seen and work ok (try a flash memory stick drive)

Like this post
patso

Likes # 0

Hi thanks again and sorry for getting back so late i was away on hols,the usb ports are fine mp3 players etc working no problems,both drives are seagate,a 250 gig and my sons one is a 500 gig plug and play,i think both are gone,so keep away from seagate ,its a lesson i learned to back up to disc,i have tried three different data recovery progs,my disc was found but one prog asks to format it when it finds it,the other one is not being recognised at all even though the green light is on and flashing,i might give them to someone i know who works at pcs and data recovery,thanks for the replies.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...