We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fast processor for HD video editing and disk burning

manrow

Likes # 0

I am planning to start converting many VHS tapes to digital soon as well as edit existing HD camcorder recordings. In a national computer store today it was suggested I would need to look for a computer with an Intel i7 processor to cope with the workload. Is that good advice?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Overkill

what do you have now? an i5 should be fast enough and a decent amount of memory.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I agree with Fruit Bat /\0/\ .... an i5 will be fast enough. My own is i5 and together with 8Gb RAM, it flies along.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I also have i5 and 8Gb RAM - works well.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Even my old P4 has no problems with video editing. Ram amd Disc space are more important For your VHS stuff I'd put it on dvd first les hassle and no messsing about with format changes with not exactlty the best quality material

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Certainly decent ammount of RAM, and reasonable, fast hard drive.

Multi-threaded processors may give a slight advantage, in terms of speed, but certainly not NECESSARY, with most software. If you are intending to use a specific editing software, always a good idea to check "system requirements", for "minimum" and "recommended". It then depends if you are planning a "remake of Star Wars"

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I find for HD video then the latest processors do help. I have an i7. However plenty of RAM is essential.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

It sounds your looking for a computer with i3 CPU with 6 ram at least.

I have i3 3.4ghz CPU in my mac, with originally 4gb ram (now 16gb) It works like a charm, and gives me plenty of power that I need and that I can see you likely need.

The most power greedy video editing task I done which was really greedy lol was making a stop motion video out of about 1,500 pictures, and 4gb ram only just managed to cope, but the i3 done it perfectly well.

That retail person seems to be saying you want the more costly stuff because that's more money for them.

I would say that an i7 would be really nice to get if it's affordable in your budget, but honestly, that really isn't what you need.

I know that mac and windows are different, but I'm guessing that you don't really need much more/less than a mac user for the same needs.

I guess an i5 would be good to look at first before i3 because you do get more horse power for I guess not much more cost, but in my experience, an i3 is plenty for my needs as i3 is still a very powerful range of CPUs.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

In a national computer store

I walked out of one of those when I overheard an assistant tell a customer not to use AVG or Avast as they were full of viruses and malware. He then proceeded to sell them the most expensive alternative anti-virus suite there was in the shop.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

Wow!!

The only reason he likely gets viruses is because he's talking bull lol. His lies are the viruses, not the software lol. -_-

Sure deep lies lol

Avast and avg should surely give him an idea of a real infected piece of software lol. He deserves it saying all those lies lol. ;)

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I do quite a lot of HD processing from my Sony HD camcorder on a home made PC with an AMD quad core processor and 16Gb RAM. For me the slowest part of the whole procedure is after the editing when it is rendered into ISO format so that it can be burnt onto a disc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made