We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can you have 2 Wireless connections in the one house both connected to Virgin media.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Since my Daughter got the Superhub from Virginmedia her Wireless connection has not been that great.[Still waiting for them to lay a new cable to her house.]

Just wondered if we could connect her old Netgear router to the cable downstairs and use both routers.

I can't see why it should not work but thought that I would ask before I try.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'll come and help with the 2nd router thingy, if you'll come and do my bathroom and kitchen....

I use Homeplugs, easy, and better speed than WiFi, router plugs into one of them and then other two portable (just take to whatever room I want and plug ethernet cable from it to laptop)I have 3 in total.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You do not need more than one router if its wireless, You can connect several PC's at the same time, but download speed will be cut if both are downloading together at the same time. you will only get the download that your supply router line speed will run at no matter how many pc's are connected it will just be split between them

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

woodchip, it's the wireless signal that's not getting to all rooms of 3 storey house as well as the cable waiting to be replaced.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Ho its wall blocking it then

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

woodchip

The problem is when they were connected instead of running a cable into their house whoever connected it took a connection from the neighbors garden.

Engineer was in the other day and tested the signal and said it was a bit weak.

So a new cable connection in their own garden may help a lot.

Lotvic

Useing those homeplugs will it pick up Wirelssly or just use usb.I know that usb would be a better signal but wireless would be best for them especially in the kitchen.

They may have to use that option at a later date at least I should know how it works by then.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

manrow - not unless the second is a repeater.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

sounds like my problem with the superhub,it was very flakey phoned up Virgin and got told how to change chanels, it's now rock steady (I'm on 20mbts) and i run a desktop PC plus a couple of laptops and an internet radio with no problems.

Type http://192.168.0.1 on browser top bar User: admin Password: changeme Click continue-continue Click on the left-hand box “wireless connection” Click settings scroll to the bottom Click advance settings Click wireless settings (left hand column) Change 2nd down to 145Mbts Change 3rd down to channel 11 Click apply Go to the left hand column scroll down and click logout You’re now finished and hopefully you’ll have a stable connection

Hope the above helps you or anybody else

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Homeplugs are so very easy to use - they are literally Plug & Play, no fancy settings to mess up.

Yes, initially two plugs are needed, one is connected to Mains and to Router (via supplied Ethernet cable), then the other is connected to Mains anywhere in house and to Laptop/PC again via supplied Ethernet cable.

Any number of homplugs can be added at a later date to connect extra laptops/pcs.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

mole1944

From ventad's selection it says.

Change channel to anything apart from 1/6/11 and I noticed you set yours to 11.

I just wondered why they recommend not to use those 3 channels.

Virginmedia support had me change mine to 11 when I was having problems with setting up my Superhub so changed it again last night when it was not on the recommended list.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Nontek

Ok that answered my question Homeplugs can only be used using a usb connection.

Believe it or not it is nearly impossible to find an empty socket to plug anything into in my Daughters house.There are gadgets plugged in everywhere including extention leads.

I keep telling her it must be a fire risk but she never listens.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer