We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can you have 2 Wireless connections in the one house both connected to Virgin media.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Since my Daughter got the Superhub from Virginmedia her Wireless connection has not been that great.[Still waiting for them to lay a new cable to her house.]

Just wondered if we could connect her old Netgear router to the cable downstairs and use both routers.

I can't see why it should not work but thought that I would ask before I try.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Forgot to add she has a 3 storey house and the new modem is in the middle of the house.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If they are all on the same ring-main, you could try Homeplugs.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok thanks folk sorry for the delay but had visitors.

I take it that means I cannot run both Wireless routers at the same time.

lotvic I had a quick look at that but will have another look tomorrow.Thanks.

Looks like the Homeplugs may be favorite.Never used one before so will have a look at those as well.

As she is with V/media is it advisable to use one from them or is it ok to use any.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I use them often, they are excellent!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Nontek

Just had another look and you need the minimum of 2 of them.looks easy enough to set up cash is a bit tight at the moment.

Son in law just started a new job this week and gets paid monthly.

Looks like they will have to wait and see if V/media run in the new cable shortly.

Could probably do with something like that for the kitchen as that is where the signal struggles at the moment.They used to get a good signal in the garden but not any more.

Lotvic had another look at your way and it is a bit complicated for me.

I am ok if someone shows me how to do something but absolutely useless at reading from a manual how to do it.

I managed to install my own kitchen including putting in new electric sockets.Did the Plumbing,fitted the gas cooker.Installed a new bathroom suite and shower and did all of the tiling but reading instructions from a manual or anything of that nature is a no go for me.

So basically I am going to give this a miss just now but may revert back to it if need be.

Thanks everyone for the advice it is appreciated.Will class as resolved just now but feel free to add to it if you wish.

Like this post  
Ventad

Likes # 0

Buteman

Have a read of this sort for the Virgin super hub 1st answer, I don't know wether it's your daughters problem but I have been reading that there is a problem with the hubs.this appears to be a fix.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless/Superhub-problems/td-p/1164023

Like this post
manrow

Likes # 0

Ignoring the issue about Virgin media router problems; is it generically possible to have 2 routers operating independently of one another?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

ventad

Ok tried that on my computer but it is to near the S/H to know if it makes any difference.

I might try it on my daughter set up the next time I am up there.Thanks for the info.

manrow

I though so but the answers I got sort of said no.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features