We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Integrated Graphics vs Dedicated Graphics Help!

pri_187

Likes # 0

Hi,

I recently purchased a dell inspiron 660 with dedicated NVIDIA® GeForce GT 640 1GB Graphics Card.

Spec :http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-660/pd?oc=d006623&model_id=inspiron-660

After about a month or so, the computer did not display anything on the monitor. After testing several working monitors on the system, there seemed to be no response from the pc possibly indicating a failure in the graphics.

After speaking to dell technical support, they said try the monitor in another port which turned out to be the dedicated graphics port for the monitor. The pc then seemed to display. Dell seem to think that only one port (either integrated graphics or dedicated graphics should work). This is not the case since the integrated graphics slot was working then seem to suddenly switch.

My concern is that the integrated graphics has failed and because the pc is working on the dedicated slot, they will not come out to test.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Does only the dedicated graphics work when one is installed? If so, can anyone explain this switching?

Regards.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

"the integrated graphics slot was working" when you say that did you mean that at some time previously you have had a monitor on the integrated graphics output working at the same time as having a monitor working on the dedicated graphics output?

Like this post
pri_187

Likes # 0

Basically, at first the monitor was plugged into the integrated graphics port. Then all of a sudden the display stopped working. I was asked by dell technical support to try and plugged the monitor into the dedicated graphics port. This then worked. It wasn't simultaneous but it just seems to have switched from integrated graphics to dedicated graphics.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I've not owned a Dell so I am unsure about entering the BIOS - but try the suggestions below from another forum.

1 Reboot your computer, and press the appropriate keyboard key in order to access the BIOS. For DELL, after switching on your computer, let the DELL logo appear before pressing the F2 key until Entering Setup is displayed on the screen.

2 Select the "Integrated Peripherals" menu inside the BIOS. (To navigate in the BIOS menu, use your keyboard's arrow keys and confirm your selection by using the "Enter" key.)

3 Navigate to the "Init Display First" option, and press the "Enter" key. This allows you to select the graphics port you now want to use. If your new graphics card uses a PCI-Express port, choose "PCI-E." If it uses an AGP port, select the "AGP" option. Confirm your choice by pressing "Enter" again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more