We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell Inspiron Charger Board - "Not Charging)?

Taff™
Resolved

Likes # 0

A week away because of log in problems (Which Continue) and I really needed you guys!!!!

Acquired a replacement charger board for an Inspiron 1545 from e-bay. Fitted no problem and the laptop works although the batter icon in the system tray says "x% available plugged in not charging" where the "x" started at zero and slowly, so slowly increased ??) to over "90% Not Charging" at which point I removed the power lead to prove that it was in fact working on battery.

Tried from device manager to uninstall the battery drivers but when the lappy rebooted and reinstalled them - no difference.

Having loosely reassembled the laptop can anyone give me a clue? Is this a software, hardware driver issue or is it in fact the wrong charger board?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

By the way, forgot to mention, I also changed the battery because I actually have a scrap Inspiron 1525 as well.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Laptop Battery not showing Charging 1. Turn off the computer, 2. Take the battery out 3. Take out the power supply 4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds. 5. Reconnect power supply 6. Then the battery. Should now show 100% charged. This is because sometimes the mother board gets static and this clears it and the reason it showed not charging was because it was fully charged.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

And the number of times I've told people that on this forum! Didn't even think to try that. However the old trick didn't work. Thanks for the input though Fruit Bat /\0/\ - can you suggest anything else?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I think I should have checked the replacement component more thoroughly against the old one which was U/S. Could it be slightly different? there are no board connectors to the charger board as I remember. Just popping out for a pint or two. Back later.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try cleaning the battery connections on both the battery and laptop underside.

an old ink rubber used to work well for cleaning these type connections.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Will Do - but don't know where I'll find and old ink rubber. Got one of those board rubbers which hit me on the head at School - in danger of being moved to Speakers Corner.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Still not resolved this issue but the battery charges and it is more of an annoyance than anything else. Have also tried to recalibrate the battery to no avail. Anyway the laptop was a scapper initially so at least it is back working which the owner is very pleased about.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

The last occasion I had this same problem with a dell laptop and after going through the charger board replacement routine, it turned out that the charger was faulty, even though in my case it would still power up the laptop with the battery removed, once the charger was replaced no more connected but not charging error

Cheers HC

Like this post  
Taff™

Likes # 0

T0SH - you may have hit the nail on the head. The charger that came with this machine has been butchered. A lot of black insulation tape around the wires keading to the connector! The hexagonal connector on the charger board was broken, hence the replacement. Sounds very likely to me but I don't have another Dell with hexagonal connector, only a round one.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

The Dell round adaptor lead will fit and work in a hex socket without problem, though the reverse hex into a round will not fit

Cheers HC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Ultrasonic cover to aid the visually...

IDG UK Sites

Apple iWatch release date, rumours & images - October unveiling, December release expected

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow