We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade advice - what can this rig support and what would you buy?

Gringo2005
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all, hoping I can get some tech advice along with some opinions on upgrade options. I built this rig a couple of years ago and it's now struggling slightly with some software/games.

I am thinking about a last upgrade for it before it's retired/replaced but would appreciate your opinions. I don't want to spend a fortune and just looking at CPU/GPU upgrades, anything more I feel warrants a new board!

Spec; Case - NZXT Lexa Board - Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe WIFI 790FX AM2+ CPU - AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+ (2.8GHZ) AM2 2mb L2 cache PSU - Enermax Galaxy 850w Crossfire ATX GPU - 2 x Sapphire X1950pro 256mb GDDR3 in Crossfire RAM - 4 x Crucial 2GB DDR2 800MHZ/PC2-6400 HDD - 1 x WD Raptor 74GB, 1 x WD 1TB OS - Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Let me know if you have any questions, otherwise I look forward to your advices and views!

Many thanks

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Would help if your mentioned what the main use of your PC is? What sort of games do you play for instance? What if any is your budget?

Plenty of upgrade choice for CPU Here.

As for GPU I would suggest 1 decent card as opposed to 2 not so good.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Get yourself a HD7750 for around £85 or a HD4850 for around £65. Have a look at the CPU link and look at the Athlon 64 X2 6400+ which can be had for around £117.

Not sure that this is much to gain by upgrading the CPU, here is a bench mark between yours and the 6400. bench.

Like this post  
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

His a comparison benchbut using the 9550 as I think you might struggle to buy the 9500. Not playing Minecraft I could not tell you anything about it's rendering. I am more of a Dead Space Max Payne FPS type of gamer.

Like this post
Gringo2005

Likes # 0

sorry, meant a 9950 or similiar not the 9500 which is slower than the one you recommended!

Like this post
Gringo2005

Likes # 0

Thanks for the links, makes it really easy to see the possibilities

is it worth going for a quad core like the Phenom 9500? how much of an improvement would it actually make to operations, like minecraft rendering for example? My current CPU usage goes through the roof...

Like this post
Gringo2005

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus Thanks for your swift reply

The PC these days is primarily used as a multimedia hub for music/photo's/videos and office/email/internet. I stopped using it for gaming a while ago as the GPU's weren't up to the job.

I have recently been given a copy of minecraft, which it struggles with on anything but the lowest settings, made me consider a final upgrade to proof this machine for a few more years.

I don't really want to spend much but assumed that the board would restrict my upgrade options to the older chips/cards so the question is whats the best options for processor and graphics that my board will support? I am thinking no more than £200 but cheaper the better...

thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded