We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Joined at the hip maybe

ChestnutToffee

Likes # 0

I have a desktop PC with Windows 7 and also a laptop with Vista. Both work fine except that at one time, when I was away for home for long periods, it was very useful to have all my emails appear on both of my computers.

I now do not need my laptop for periods away from home but i have the problem of duplication of my incoming emails on both of my machines. They are not exactly twinned because deleting my emails off my desktop, does not delete them from my laptop so at least once a week I have to open up my laptop and delete the duplicated emails.

Is there an easy way to separate please??

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Email client?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Delete the email account from the laptop, you can always re-enable it at a future date.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"at least once a week I have to open up my laptop and delete the duplicated emails"

Does that mean that once a week you are booting laptop up, collecting the emails and then deleting them?

If you don't want emails on the laptop at all stop using the laptop to collect them. Or if you are meaning you only want to collect emails that you want and you are having to delete unwanted ones on both pc and laptop then:

On your desktop in whichever email program you are using configure the email account to delete emails on server when deleted from your 'Deleted' folder and then empty the 'Deleted' folder after you have sorted your emails. Then they won't be on the server when you collect the rest on the laptop.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi

If you are only rarely using your laptop, then it would be as easy to remove your account, as Nontek suggests.

Alternatively, if you are going to use your laptop from time to time and would like to access your emails, then set your email account as IMAP instead of POP, That way, your email client is basically acting as a 'window' to what is at your webmail level, irrespective of whether you check your emails from your PC or laptop. I've probably not explained this very well but it would maybe worth you checking out the benefits of IMAP vs POP.

Cheers

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

IMAP vs POP, Whatever/which way you decide, the emails you don't want will have to be deleted on the server or it will dish them out to whatever email client requests them and has not received them before.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...