We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

problem with cursor/ typing in data

morters

Likes # 0

I recently bought a refurbished Toshiba Satellite Pro A200 Intel Dual Core-M 1.86GHZ 1Gb RAM 80Gb to catalogue some 450 antiquarian books away from my pc.

I am having problems entering data into Excel cells in that if I'm typing line four, say, the cursor suddenly jumps back to, say, line one and continues entering anything I type in the middle of line one rather than the end of line four. This paragraph I'm typing now could come out like this:

I am having problems entering data into Ex'm typing now could come out like thiscel cells in that if I'm typing line four, say, the cursor suddenly jumps back to, say, line one and continues entering anything I'm typing in the middle of line one rather than the end of line four. This paragraph I:

This happens at least 50% of the time and, less commonly, sometimes the cursor jumps back to another cell and corrupts the entered data there, sometimes even deleting what I've entered. At best this is time consuming, at worst I lose valuable data, which I sometimes recognise has happened but at other times am unaware of. I would add that I have exactly the same problem (minus jumping back to previous cells) in Word.

I have Windows XP and I have downloaded Office 2007 Ultimate on to it.

Before I go through the hassle of returning the laptop, does anyone know what's happening and is there some simple adjustment I could make to sort it out?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You could be brushing the touchpad with your sleeve.

Instead of typing directly into the cell, click in the cell to select it and then click in the Formula Bar box at the top to type/edit text and then press enter when finished.

Also do a Repair of Office in case it is something to do with the program.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I found that trying some of these suggestions helped my Toshiba laptop

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Thanks, guys. I'll try these. Should have mentioned that I use a mouse. I don't think my sleeve could have triggered the touch pad, but you never know!

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

lotvik, ran repair but no problems reported, but thanks.

Chub_tor, followed the suggestion to disable touchpad and, bingo, it seems to have worked! Can't believe it was so simple. Not going to green tick yet - because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it won't happen again. But am 98% confident it's sorted because I've typed 8 lines of the quick brown fox jumped..., could never have done that previously. I hope it's not premature, but thank you so much, wish I'd logged on earlier when I went from London to the West Country and possibly wasted 3 days' work!!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more