We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Retrieving Files on Fat32 External HD

RegScriv

Likes # 0

Does anyone know how to retrieve files from a Fat32 formatted external hard drive. I need to transfer them to a Window 7 NTFS pc.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Haven't tried Handbrake route yet.

Hmm, I've checked my dvd's and they are perfectly alright, picture and sound.

Humax to Ext HD to PC. film.ts to DVDflick (make .iso) to ImgBurn (burn .iso to dvd). Put in DVD player attached via scart to tv and play it. Also it plays ok in Windows Media Player on pc.

I've just done a fresh one to dvd, from a recording done last night, from Humax to finished dvd to playing it on tv, to double check.

If I explore the content of the dvd (Windows Explorer) it contains two folders: AUDIOTS, (empty folder) and VIDEOTS, with several VTS_VOB's, amd some IFO and BUP files. (Which is all in order - how it should be)

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Sorry, what I meant was that the .ts file would not play in VCL.

I'll try Handshake and let you know how I get on.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I have done these to experiment:

Windows Media Player, said it couldn't play .ts but did I want to try, said Yes, and it played it.

I renamed/changed the file ext .ts to .mpg and Windows Media Player played it straight away.

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Tried changing ext to mpg, doesn't work. Downloaded Handbrake and it tells me that the file is either corrupted or not supported. There really doesn't seem to be an answer to this does there.

The file will play from the hd in the Humax though, so it seems the file does work, but only in the Humax. I wonder whether the Humax is putting some form of DRM into the .ts file.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I have version: VLC media player 2.0.1 Twoflower

Have you tried with any other .ts files? Will none of them play in VLC or any of the other things I can and have been doing?

Humax don't put DRM on that's the Broadcasters and content owners encrypting.

I've only done non encrypted SD .ts files (for home use). SD recordings can be copied and played elsewhere, however HD recordings are tied to the machine that made them I believe. They are usually marked with a red encpt emblem on the list in Humax > Media

Are you able to say what the film is that you are trying to play? It's possible I've got the same program (slim chance, but possible)

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

The version I have is VCL Media Player 2.0.3 Twoflower.

I'm try a different file, I'll record one especially for the purpose. The files I have been using have been from a sequence of programmes under the one folder/heading so I'll try one that is standalone. I'm only copying SD files

I'm still having difficulty using the copy process on the Humax. It doesn't seem to be quite the same as yours although your process description did help, especially in ensuring the hd folder is open and in ensuring the files to be copied are ticked using the edit/yellow button.

One thing I have noticed is that when I copy a programme, the Humax file system won't let me copy is again. I leaves an indicator against the file which seems to be there to indicate that I've copied the programme once already.

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Sorry, I missed your question about which programmes I'm copying. The files I'm copying are "Everyone Loves Raymond" and "Frasier", on in the mornings on Channel 4 and very funny (well we think so). Hence the sequence of programmes. I'm set the Humax to copy successive programmes.

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Success!! I recorded 10 mins of "This Morning" just now and it will play in Windows Media Player, so I'm confident it will convert to DVD. I'll try again on one of my "Raymonds"

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

And I'll have a go at 'Raymonds' and 'Fraiser' and see what happens.

I found you have to open folders both on usb hd and on Humax hd before you press 'Yellow Edit'

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I nearly forgot to say 'Hooray and congrats' and how satisfied you must feel now you've got one to play :)) Nearly there, I'll post again when tried with Raymond and Fraiser.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......