We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Retrieving Files on Fat32 External HD

RegScriv

Likes # 0

Does anyone know how to retrieve files from a Fat32 formatted external hard drive. I need to transfer them to a Window 7 NTFS pc.

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Bingo!! I have the file on the HD and it is recognised by my pc. Not sure what I did different, I think it was the yellow edit button you suggested and I noticed this time that I'd got ticks against the programme I wanted to copy. I won't allow my to copy programmes exceeding 4Gbs in size. Not sure if there's an answer to that one.

Now I have to make into DVD format for burning to disk. I'll have a look at the DVDFlick you mentioned. Nero doesn't like it.

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Downloaded DVDFlick but it's telling me the it doesn't recognise the .ts file. I've tried twice with two different files. The file will play on the Humax though. Could try another ts to dvd converter, do you know of any trustworthy ones.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Not hit that snag (yet) with DVDflick so difficult to advise. (I always use SD to record not HD perhaps that might have something to do with it?) .ts is the container not the actual file format.

Play the .ts in VLC and click on Tools > Codec Information.

For track 0 mine say Type: Video. Original ID: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)

Stream 1. Type: Audio. Codec: MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3 (mpga)

However FormatFactory is excellent free video converter so give it a whirl. I suggest you work with copies of your .ts so you have always got a fresh copy to try something else with.

Maybe someone else will post some more info and advice, there are some on here good at it (got to be better than me - I'm a novice)

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

The .ts file I'm trying to convert is 2Gb & is an SD recording.

I downloaded FormatFactory and had similar experience, "failed to convert". I tried converting to several formats; avi, mpg & mpeg, which I know I can make into a DVD. There wasn't a DVD option.

I didn't understand your other advice on playing the .ts in VLC etc.

I've had so much difficulty in cracking this one that I think I'm going to give up now.

Many thanks for your very helpful advice and for sticking with me to this point. You certainly don't sound like a novice.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

playing the .ts in VLC I can just rightclick on the .ts and choose open with VLC and it plays... does that not work for you?

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

I was a bit slow in realising that I need to download VCL to try this out. I'll give it a go.

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

I've downloaded VCL. The .ts file doesn't seem to want to play on it but the codec info under the tools menu gives me info that's slightly different from yours; I have 14 Streams in total so won't give them all; Stream 0 Type: Audio Codec: MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3(mpga) Stream 1 Type: Audio Codec: MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3(mpga) Stream 2 Type: Video Codec: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)

This pattern then repeats itself all the way through to Stream 14 Type: Video, Codec: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I apologise, I should have checked that you did have VLC player.

when you say 'The .ts file doesn't seem to want to play on it' - what does that mean?

Does it play or not?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

There certainly is a lot of conflicting info out there on the net...

It would seem that a freeware program 'Handbrake' is one to use. post by John H 16-04-2011 ClickHere

"So if any of you out there are wanting to transfer .ts files from a Terrestrial PVR to DVD, Handbrake sorts out both the video and audio, and converts the file to .mp4." (Then you put that .mp4 in your DVD burner/maker program

(told you I am a novice at this...) I'm going to try it out later, it seems I may have some dvd's I did the other way that now possibly don't have sound :(

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

This is Handbrake page and this is the user guide for Windows

Shall we compare notes later....?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do