We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Retrieving Files on Fat32 External HD

RegScriv

Likes # 0

Does anyone know how to retrieve files from a Fat32 formatted external hard drive. I need to transfer them to a Window 7 NTFS pc.

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

The hd I tried was a proprietary ext hd.

It's really interesting that you've successfully completed the whole process from Humax through to getting the files onto your computer. I'll definitely have another go, and try the Fat32format app you mention.

Did you by any chance manage to to get the files onto/into dvd format for burning onto dvd disk. This is what my endgame is all about so that I can play them on another dvd player

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes, I burn them to a dvd. I save each film to .iso (instead of burn straight to DVD disk). Usually use DVDflick to encode them (so they will play on a dvd player), and save to an .iso file on pc then I can just burn an extra copy to dvd should I want to.

I am not expert at it and although I have several programs that can edit the adverts out I haven't bothered much. I have to add that I don't do many as tend to keep them 'as is' on ext hard drive.

note: you only need the .ts file the other two are Humax info/indexing files so you don't need them on the dvd you burn.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Try Recuver to try and recover the fat32 files, remember to put thenm on a Different Drive otherwise you will just overwrite the files you are trying to recover.

Terry

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

I managed to format my 500Gb hd to Fat32 eventually by using EaseUS Partition Manager Home Edition. Using the cmd method, which took around 7 hours, resulted in a line telling my the partition was too large for Fat32 and for some reason I couldn't get the Fat32format tool to work. With some difficulty I've managed to copy files across on the Humax, but when I then plug the hd into my pc it says the disk is empty. I can transfer files on my pc onto the hd but it doesn't recognize the file copied on the Humax. The Humax File Manager on the other hand indicates that the hd has copied the file. Any ideas lotvic?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

hmmm, I don't get any probs

Q. When attached to Humax are you copying the files to the sda1 folder? (you should be) (sda1 is from memory, I might have the letters wrong way round)

Q. With ext drive attached to pc: rightclick on the drive and look at Properties, and see what file system it says.

Try the following:

In Disk Management delete the partition on the Ext Hard drive, then create a new one, do not format in Disk Management - use FAT32format.

If all else fails, in Disk Management delete the partition on the Ext Hard drive, then create a new one size 30GB and then format that to FAT32. yes, it will come up as an option. It is only partitions bigger than 32GB that cause the option not to appear as Windows by design doesn't do them bigger.

Before you try it on the Humax, make sure it is fully functional in W7 and you can copy and paste and delete files on it.

Then try it out on the Humax. I know you might think that is a waste of rest of 500GB, but this is just to see if it works okay like that.

Actually, as it takes so long to format 500GB, do the 30GB partition first for test purposes. In fact make two 30GB partitions and format one using W7 and the second partition with FAT32format. (I tested a drive yesterday in that manner and both partitions, one of 30GB and second one 45GB show in the humax as sda1 and sda2, then you have to open one of the sda folders (which are the drive partitions) before you copy the film to it.

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

The function on the Humax is not user friendly and the manual is next to useless. I had a lot of trouble copying across. The copy function was greyed out and only by trial & error did I manage to get the copy function to work. I have to select "opt+" then "File Manager" and I get a dialogue box with a left and right hand panel. The left is the HD and the right is the USB/HD. As you describe the right hand/USB/HD panel shows a folder something like "sda1". I select a programme from the HD/left hand panel and then I get trouble. Sometimes the green "Copy" button with work, but more often not. With a programme selected, pressing the "OK" button brings up a dialogue box with options, one of which is "Copy". More often than not the "Copy" option is greyed out. When I eventually do manage to copy, the file does show in the right hand/USB panel, so it appears to have copied to the HD.

Properties on the HD show that it is formatted in Fat32 and I can copy files into it on my pc with no problem.

EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition does allow me the creation of partitions (I think) so I can try your suggestion of forming smaller partitions. But I'm wondering whether the Humax is working properly. I might try plugging into the rear USB port rather than the front one, an act of desperation but USB ports can be funny at times.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I use the front usb on Humax because it's easier to get to.

this works for me:

Media

OPT+

File Manager - OK

Rightside, select sda1, press OK (to open the folder and display contents/film titles that are already on there)

Press Yellow button (EDIT MODE)

Leftside, Tick Films wanted (highlight and press OK)

Press Green (COPY)

At prompt that comes up when finished copying, do not press anything and it goes away in few seconds. You can go back and delete them from Humax later if want to.

Note: Green copy button is greyed out if you have a Folder highlighted, it only goes green when a single film title is highlighted.

When finished press Enter twice to go back to normal tv.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Whooops... When finished press EXIT twice to go back to normal tv.

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Right, I'll give that a go.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do