We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Master / Slave mains power adaptors

Batch
Resolved

Likes # 0

Does any know of any / have any experience of automatic master / slave mains power adaptors? By automatic I means ones that detect the current flow on the master socket and switch the power on / off on the slave sockets (rather than using a remote control as some do)?

I've come across this one masterplug MSRGMS3-MS at B&Q, but was wondering if there are any others (from other manufacturers) and also whether they are any good.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I was given one of those free by EDF some years ago as an energy saving device and I use it on my PC so that when the base unit is switched off it also switches off my monitor and printer. I works fine. Try checking with your electricity supplier, there may be some free ones out there. I also have a free electricity usage monitor from EDF.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I have a "PowerFix" bought from Lidal a couple of years ago

2 master sockets 4 slaves.

Has built in surge protector still going strong.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Thanks for those ideas. Have had a look at EDF site and they only have a remote controlled product at the moment.

Also tried LIDL. The UK site doesn't seem to really list much, but might have a browse in the local store. Searched for Powerfix Lidl and got a page full of Powerfix branded products on lidl.de, but not the product I'm after.

Also tried Clas Ohlson, but again no joy.

Part of the problem of googling for such a product is not really knowing what a generic name for these could possibly be. It's not like searching for, say, a usb memory stick.

The masterplug one will probably do the job, I just like to have a choice (and B&Q seems to be the only outlet that has them).

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Intelliplug Click Here

Like this post  
Batch

Likes # 0

Thanks guys.

Having done some research (including the Intelliplug reviews on Amazon), I'n not sure these are worth the price (at least for me). The electricity savings would be minimal and the reliability of these things pretty poor (a high proportion failing after one or two years).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'