We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I bought an out of date Belkin hub what's best now

Muergo
Resolved

Likes # 0

The 7port Belkin powered hub I bought not so long ago a F5U 027, and now I find from a feedback on Amazon that it's an old one and no firmware/drivers are available any more.

I'm trying to find where I bought it and I see they are still on sale, just shows when you buy on price, but seeing it was Belkin Ithought it would be O.K.

Now my PC doesn't recognise several, not all, items I plug into it.

Anyway, water under Staines upon Thames bridge, what is the consensus for a good large hub, I have USB3 as well as USB2 to plug it in to, whether that makes any difference I no know. I have a large need, sometimes temporary, to plug in phones, cameras, card reader, etc as well as normal printer scanner, several hard drives, burners etc, etc , but these go direct onto other PC outlets. and I like to dedicate a seperate USB socket to each and not keep plugging and unplugging.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I use a simple cheap powered hub for the occasion USB 2 plugins,the more permanent, printers and the like are connected directly to the PC and any USB 3 items are again connected directly to the PC when needed.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Opps - wrong model. Still looking

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

No - there's nothing there. Did you buy this as new and did it not come with a driver install CD?

I can only suggest that you log on to https://en-uk-support.belkin.com/app/answers/contactsupport/aid/2467

and then select the final option to Chat

Good lick!

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Luck!!! lol

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It shouldn't need a driver.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. It won't run at USB 3 speeds as the USB 3 ports have more pins however USB3 is backward compatible so will run at USB2 speed.

2. A powered hub does not need a driver the driver is for the chipset running on your motherboard or USB PCi card

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Thanks for the many relies.

What you are saying Fruit Bat is that it's the item I am plugging in that needs the driver? Do I understand you correctly?

In the last instance it was a car analyser, that had a CD with it but wouldn't accept it when plugged in, but then was OK when I used one of the PC mounted ports.

As for the USB3, I only have one of these ports and wondered if using that to feed a lot of USB2 outlets would be of benefit. But as you infer, the system runs at the lowest speed link.

Chronus, I want to do exactly as you outlined, the main uses, printers/scanner etc are plugged directly in but I have a christmas tree of other leads plugged into the USB hub, each one labelled with its use and appropriate end plug, Mini USB, Micro USB square USB etc. these take cameras, phone, external hard drives (three) Cd/DVD burner, one external one internal.

Maybe I should put another bank of USB ports on an internal slot.

Anyway when I buy the next hub, what are the suggestions? Belkin again but more recent?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have six cables all for various gadgets, and a 7 port hub that currently has nothing plugged, I plug in the gadget as an when I need to.

I have something similar to this, Cable tidy which does what it says on the tin, then when I need to connect external drive or camera etc I take the required cable from the tidy thingy and plug it in to my cheapo powered 7 port hub. Works for me with Windows 7.

As Fruit Bat says the hub does not need a driver, if you should use a PCi card then you might need one. But adding a PCI card to give you extra ports means either you have to fumble behind the PC every time you want to plug something in or you have the cables connected permanently waiting for the time you need to connect a camera etc to the PC.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Remove all USB devices

Download and run USB device View

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund