We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Should I Up-Grade or Buy Something Else?

pgj

Likes # 0

I’m looking to upgrade or buy a pre-owned tower to replace my present system. At present the core of my system is (this was purchase new in January 2008): Mother board: Asus P5NESLI S775,DDR2,PCI-E,SATA2,5.1Snd,GBlan, ATX Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz LGA775. Ram: 2 x (2x1024mb) Dual Channel DDR2 667Mhz (4gb) VGA card: 512Mb nVidia GeForce 8800 GT PCI-Express. Case: AXT with 450W PSU DVD Writer: NEC AD-5200A-OB 20X+/-DVD-R Dual Layer.

In total it has 6 USB’s 2 of which are on the front of the case and my son has destroyed these by knocking them when items were plugged in etc. The DVD writer has never been much good refusing to read many disc that are read by other devices and it’d never worked well for burning either. The system also blue screens often (has done pretty much since new) have mover ram in and out but makes no difference. I also get messages whenever I plug in a USB devise telling be my USB speed in low and should be faster. I need to reinstall the operating system (W7) as everything from IE and even WE keep crashing and I need my front USB outlets back and so earlier turned to ebay to see about buying a new or second-hand case/tower to swap my system into. Then I started thinking are these parts compatible with all towers? Is my blue screen problem connected to my PSU - do I need a bigger and better one? If I’m going to replace the case, DVD writer, PSU would I just be better of purchasing a second hand higher spec tower which I could just move my hard drive into?

I have no problem with the overall speed of my system. The display is fine for what I use it for. I do want it to stop blue screening and need it to be far better in the DVD & USB department. I have also found it annoying that I was unable to extra hard drive in it that I had as there are not enough power connections. I do not play the latest games – my son dose uses it for on line kid’s games. I do quite a bit of down loading. I’m connected to Virgin Broadband 30Gb. I use it to stream media at times. So what would the experts recommend? Would I get a better spec for my budget £150/£200 second hand? If so what should I be looking out for? Or should I just upgrade what I have? I’m perfectly fine with the mechanics of fixing the system together (building). All and any help very gratefully received Emily x

Like this post
pgj

Likes # 0

Yes back-up copleted at about 2am this morning. Unfortunatley it'sa backup that I don't think I'll be able to use with a new install on a new Hard drive :(.

I'm going to hook up a spare internal HD tonight and just copy my Libraries.

Still be interested if anyone would recomment that system on ebay?

Emily x

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I'd have said that was a good machine, and good value. HP kit is usually pretty reliable, and that's a good spec for the money. The seller has 40,000+ transactions to his name, and 99% positive feedback. That said, much of his negative feedback seems to be on the systems he has sold. I've bought around a dozen PCs on eBay, and never had any problems, though. If there's a downside to branded kit - e.g. Dell, HP - it's that it can be more difficult to upgrade than a no-name black box.

Like this post
pgj

Likes # 0

The more information I get the harder the decision is becoming. Had not thought I might have problems with compatibility fitting a new hard drive and installing Windows 7. I'm guessing this because they use their own internal hardware for which drivers are hard to find?

Is there a way I can test my graphics card to see if my BSOD problem is on that?

x

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

The drivers will be somewhere online. The internals will likely be standard parts. You can use Speccy to see what you have (and Device Manager)

Try updating your Graphics Driver by downloading from its manufacturers website.

Or take it out and use onboard graphics if you have them. Or try reseating the graphics card. Or try another card.

....I don't think I'll be able to use with a new install on a new Hard drive :(.

Image Backups should not be be Restored to a different system (it won't boot properly).

But they can be Mounted as a virtual drive and the desired files and folders copied to the new drive.

Even W7 Images can be mounted relatively easily, if you did it that way, although MS say it can't be done.

(Attach the .vhd file saved in WindowsImageBackup folder in Windows Disk Management. The folder permissions need to be unlocked first)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

BSODs caused by drivers or corrupt windows files (failing hard drive sectors) Slow USB caused by incorrect drivers (Enhanced driver missing or corrupt)

Use the drive checking tool in windows to test the drive.

Use the W7 DVD to repair windows missing or corrupt system files

Download the latest drivers for your system or even uninstall and reinstall all drivers to ensure they work correctly.

The error code on the BSOD (Ox0000...) tells us what hardware driver is causing the problem.

Like this post
pgj

Likes # 0

So grateful for all this help but more queries arise:

Enhanced driver missing or corrupt? How do I update that driver?

Use 'drive checking tool in windows to test the drive' where do I find this.

Now have a further issue - attached a spare 500BG hard drive to copy my libraries to. Now getting a windows message saying my original C drive is failing and I should back up. Would this have anything to do with my attaching the second HD? Is there a way of testing the HD. I have run the window Disc Check and all's ok there. Emily x

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Just in case you're still thinking about replacing it. I chanced upon this seller on eBay. To have achieved 100% positive feedback on nearly 2,000 transactions, the very large majority of which look like they're complete PCs, is close to miraculous. It might be worth keeping an eye on this seller. And no, I'm no relation.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data