We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

broadband allowance limit

Liza

Likes # 0

I have been advised that my broadband allowance is almost reaching its limit and I will thus be charged for extra use. My allowance apparently is 10gb. I phoned my provider asking why this was so for I thought I had covered everything when I became a member. If I wanted to increase then the membership fee would go up. Has anyone had a problem like this. Is it to do with emails i.e the more emails you do the more use of the allowance. Please help. Thanks, Liza

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Click here

This calculator will show you what is included in calculating your usage, you can also use it to work out for yourself how much you might use.

Like this post
Liza

Likes # 0

Thank you nontek. Very helpful. I do use emails a lot on my 64 laptop. I also use the Internet to play solitaire, some time for hours on end, the Internet for other things like skype, pcadvisor. I had an aol (am not with aol anymore) email account but it continues to appear and since I had not informed anyone I was no longer with aol so spend a lot of time on it deleting unimportant or keeping other emails. I do not download tunes, play other games etc. Perhaps I am guilty and had better increase my monthly internet account charge. Liza

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What are you paying for that miserly download limit by the way?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Emails use very little unless they contain large documents photos etc.

I used to be on a 2g limit using emails / and general browsing + on here for hours without problem.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I also use the Internet to play solitaire, some time for hours on end, the Internet for other things like skype, pcadvisor."

You need to know that each time you look at a web page of any description you are using up a little of your bandwidth allowance. What happens is that your browser downloads the page to your computer in order to display it on screen. It's not a lot per page, but it can add up over a period. Email isn't going to be the culprit, as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Consider buying Solitaire. Try for 30 days then buy for £16.99 click here

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Don't you have Solitaire as part of Windows OS? I've always had Solitaire as part of XP, Vista and now Win 7

Check in Start, All programs, then maybe in Accessories, or in Win7 I have found it in the Games folder.

Cheers

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Liza... are you with BT ?

I ask because I have the same problem occasionally in getting near my 10gb monthly limit. If it is BT you can get round the problem by logging in to your Home Hub using the BT FON connection which will be showing as a network you can connect too. It's a legitimate workaround and there is no limit on data, the only downside is it's a slower connection but I find it still pretty good at around 4mbs.

And if your not with BT... well I dunno !

Maybe the above might help others who are.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

With my wife's and daughter's constant use of iPlayer and YouTube and various other video sites, we can get through up to 5GB - in a day! Fortunately, we signed up with PlusNet when they had a truly unlimited usage policy in place, although at £25/month, it's not cheap.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

£10.20 from Be Broadband but I have been with them a while and have just checked and the actual charge is £22, but it is worth threatening to leave and I can guarantee you will get a better deal.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...