We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Slow Wireless LAN ?

RISC OS user

Likes # 0

My HP Pavilion dv6 6GB of RAM appears very slow, and the WLAN also appears to be slow. I also have an HP Pavilion P6325 UK desktop which has an Intel i5 processor and 4GB of RAM. I have run 2 speed test one after the other on each computer in turn at various times and the Laptop always give a much lower speed than the Desktop. They are both connected to the same router, SpeedTouch ST 585 v6. The Desktop is via a wired LAN and the Laptop via the Wireless LAN. The Router shows a Bandwidth of 5495/440, and the WLAN has a Maximum of 54Mbps, the LAN shows a 100Mbps Maximum. Is this common or can I improve the Laptop internet speed? When I purchased the Laptop I was advised that the AMD with 4 processors would be as fast as the i5 computer, this does not appear correct any other thoughts on this please. Desktop speed 4703/361, Laptop speed 2677/343 some times slower! The Laptop is only 6 feet from the router.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Wireless will always be slower than wired, and what CPU you have has no impact of the speed of your internet connection. You could get a better router. I assume that the Thompson was supplied by your ISP?

Like this post
RISC OS user

Likes # 0

Yes it was about 5 years ago by Tiscali, I also have its replacement from Plusnet which I do not like very much. I have thought to replace them, but with what... I do not want to spent a fortune on one that may not be any better. Do you have any suggestions?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

For reliability I like Netgear but the one I have is not the best but as my PC's are all connected via Ethernet cable it has not really bothered me. But I have just bought a Nexus 7 and the wireless is not particularly great so am looking to upgrade myself in the near future.

I have no doubt others will advice an a suitable router.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Router I bought, using Plusnet, was this one. Works well and I updated the firmware. Surprised at some of the negative feedbacks on Amazon but I've had no trouble at all. Provisionally bought as a backup to a D-Link router but I'm using this instead. Cheap and effective.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have just bought this,Netgear I hope it is as reliable as the DG834 V4 it will replace.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do