We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nvidia Graphic Card Blackout Problem

Phoenix40

Likes # 0

Hello i seem to be having a regular problem with my latest Nvidia 8400S graphic card. It was installed by an computer engineer before last Xmas to replace a similar one that came with my computer when i purchased it. What happens when im playing a computer game either from desktop but especially online and also yesterday when i was watching a stream film. The screen would suddenly blackout sometimes after a short while it will correct itself and come back up. Otherwise it will completely remain blackout and i will have to restart the computer again. When it does come back up it will say theres an error with the graphic card etc. on the bottom menu. I have been updating the drivers for the graphic card each time but it has been happening sometime and now with more frequency so i wonder if someone can explain what can be the cause or if there is some way i can correct this? Thanks a lot.

Like this post
Phoenix40

Likes # 0

Hello thanks a lot i will try those things when i have the time to concentrate on dealing with it as ive never done all that sort of thing before. Im afraid yesterday the temps went as high as 107 degrees in the end so i dont leave my computer running long in a static mode when im not using but put it into sleep mode when not using it for a while dealing with other things. But i havent had anymore blackouts so far. But i did discover that an updated Adobe Flashplayer i downloaded was causing trouble on my computer so i did a system restore before it and cancelled the update for now and things seem a bit settled. Someone else i play online against said he uses tins of compressed air to clear the dust around the computer boards is that alright to do? Let me know thanks.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

If you want to spend money on cans of air,that is up to you. I use a soft paint brush and a vacuum cleaner. It is not as if you are going to cleaning dust out that often so there is no need to go over the top.

I would suggest getting rid of the 8400GS and putting a better card in, it would not be expensive and it is something you can easily do yourself.

Like this post
Phoenix40

Likes # 0

Hello thanks ive already got myself a can of air and manage to open up the casing and sprayed around the area. There was quite a lot of dust in the computer. I couldnt quite see the fan on the graphic card, there seems to be like a black plastic grid covering a part of the board, i did push it in harder. I also sprayed the large fan on the mother board and made sure it was going around. I agree i wont be buying a can of air again rather expensive at £9 in my local DIY shop.Concerning getting another graphic card board how far can i go with one? My computer is a Core Duo 2.2 GB processor with 2 RAM at the moment. The engineer that fitted this board never asked me if i wanted anything better.The computer is about 4 years old i think. So let me know what other graphic cards i could use. So far things seem to be working fine and no blackouts yet. Thanks for all the help.

Like this post
Phoenix40

Likes # 0

Hello ive sorted out my other problem with the Nvidia control panel by rolling back my drivers to the previous version which seems to have sorted the problem for now.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The reason you did not see a fan on your graphics card is because there is not one, you have ,what is known as a passive cooled graphics can,no fan. Does your GPU look something like this? 8400GS.

I did hint that a can of air would not be the cheap option. A soft paintbrush and a vacuum is all you need.

Download and install this SIW (Google SIW and its the first one on the page,PCA still will not allow a link to it directly) go down the page to the free version.Please post your motherboard make and model. After running SIW on the left hand side you will see Hardware under that you will see Motherboard click on that and at the top you will see your make/model of motherboard.Post it here, whilst you have the side of your PC open take a note of the wattage of your power supply, the info will be on a label.

Like this post
Phoenix40

Likes # 0

Hello thanks for your advice. I only went for the can of compressed air because someone else i email told me they use it when they clean their computer boards. But at least i wont be getting it that often.I have already done my computer now and resealed it so i wont be opening it up again for now. Yes the Nvidia graphics board is a 8400GS model. I dont know what my motherboard is is there no way the computer can tell me on the specifications? I see if i can find anything, thanks anyway for your help.

Like this post
Phoenix40

Likes # 0

Hello ive downloaded the SIW. The motherboard information if i have it right is a Packard Bell BV and the model is PT890-8237A. I hope this is the right information. Im not sure about the wattage is that on the motherboard or on the back of the casing. Because its all sealed up now. I looked at the GPU picture and that does look like the graphic card thats installed. But im sure the one the engineer took out had a fan on it thats why i thought this one had one. But im sure it had the same model description. So is this fan less good than the previous one? Let me know thanks for your help.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Power supply label showing wattage is on, not surprisingly, is on the power supply. This is important to know before advising on a replacement graphics card.

Although your graphics is the same model 8400Gs the original card had a fan you later one does not. To be honest it really does not matter with that level of card as they are pretty basic,but I think it is getting a little warm because there is no real cooling.

These are the specs of your motherboard PT890-8237A. Which tells me that you have a PCI-E slot for your graphics card. But I do need to know what wattage power supply you have.

Like this post
Phoenix40

Likes # 0

Hello thanks for your help. Does that mean i need to open up the casing of my computer again? If so i will have to leave it for now until i have the time to deal with it again. I wouldnt be able to afford a new card yet anyway and things seem stable at the moment since i roll back the card drivers. Soon as i have the time i ll get back you thanks.

Like this post
Phoenix40

Likes # 0

Hello the temp of the GPU seems to be stabilising around 60 to 70 degrees now. It seems a lot of the problem was caused with the latest Geforce drivers that i downloaded for this card from Nvidia. For now i have left them off. I will try and look in my computer again for the wattage if i know where to look for it later on thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...