We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Seagate GoFlex Home Network Storage System 2Tb

PAE

Likes # 0

I bought this on the understanding that it was a device that I could access wirelessly and transfer files into and out of it.

1. It is a good backup device for my desktop which is wired to it permanantly through my Router and backs up all my work continuously.

2. I can connect to it wirelessly with my Laptop and download files for viewing only. I cannot edit those files or upload additional ones into this drive. This difficult as I do a lot of entry away from home.

3. I followed the instructions on the Help File and hardwired the Laptop to my router with the result it totally wiped all my Desktop Data and replaced it with that from the Laptop. Has anyone had experience of this system and can they help me?

Peter

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Sorry no experience. Hopefully, some permissions need setting. A quick read thru' this search mentions something about data being wiped on a new setup.

Have you had a look/posted in Seagate forums?

Bit quiet here just now. Maybe someone will jump in.

Are you using XP/Vista/7/Mac?

Until you solve it, I suppose Dropbox/Google Docs or USB Flash sticks could be used for your work. Maybe you were doing that before buying the Golfex anyway.

Like this post
PAE

Likes # 0

I have looked around and this item seems to be a mystery, however for an additional $21 I can buy Memeo Sync from Seagate which is supposed to keep all my files in line. Fine except I do Family History and the file name changes every day which means because I do most of my research on the Laptop filenames will be totally different plus the programme will only open the latest file on saved that computer and not one that has been synced from the other computer. Seems I have bought an expensive backup for my Desktop to go with the cheaper Acronis backup I was already using. Back to USB sticks and GED files I guess. Thanks for trying.

Peter

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...