We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New graphics card

tazpafc

Likes # 0

I'm after a new graphics card that has vga and dvi on so I can run extended desktop on dual monitors, my pc only has a vga port hence the need to upgrade. My pc is an acer aspire x3960

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It really does help if you mention budget?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Those are typically my requirements - I don't need a good GPU for gaming or rendering or whatever, just the ability to drive two monitors. As such, pretty much any card would do the job: I'd be surprised if you had to pay more than £20. I'm not sure how old your PC is, but if it's relatively recent - last few years - you'll probably be looking for a PCI Express card like this

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

Sorry Chronus I have a habit of not mentioning budget, seen as its not for major gaming and just the same as ian wants to do, drive 2 monitors then my max budget would probaly be about 40 max and Ian the pc is about a few years old has an i3 processor and I think your right, I'm sure I have a pcie slot

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

If you are just wanting to power a second monitor then Ian in Northampton's suggestion will be fine. But if you think you might do a bit of gaming in the future then it is rubbish.

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

A bit of a better card would still help my gaming on football manager which is all I play cause the game does give you a 3d rating against what graphics you have installed, at the moment I just have the intergrated graphics so a new decentish card would also give the 3d rating a bit of a boost as I said I have 40 maybe even could stretch to 50 to get a card but I was reading I need a low profile card or something?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I thought this was your PC, Acer, you certainly said it was in your other post. And if it is it seeming has a Radeon HD 6450. So can you confirm or not whether you have this GPU fitted or not?

Also if that is your PC it looks as though it will take a full sized GPU but I am not sure looking at the image.

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

Chronus i have an acer x3960 not a x3990

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

And my graphics are Intel HD Graphics 1000 (GT1) 1796 MBytes

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

This one then. And this model has a GeForce GT 420 or so the specs show. This. Anyway I cannot see why you would need a low profile GPU as the case is big enough for a full one.

Like this post
tazpafc

Likes # 0

Yep that is my pc Chronus but a newer model, i dont have the i5 processor or the tb hard drive or the graphics, this is mine http://www.very.co.uk/acer-aspire-core-i3-20-inch-pc-x3960/907502720.prd?sourcebrand=additions&aff=awin&affsrc=57997&cmmmc=awin--57997--Comparison+Engine--0151553511&awc=30911342262958_57a4a6cce4a765516fe83b6299a11bd2&browseToken=/q/pr414&totalResults=1

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?