We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Video editing system requirements advice

frybluff

Likes # 0

Currently spec-ing a gaming system, for a first self-build. Nothing special, want to be able to run the likes of Battlefield 3, but doesn't have to be "ultra all-round".

Am interested in photography, and, whilst I'm only yet at the "dabbling" stage, with video work, I hope to get better, and may want to get decent video editing software, like Adobe Premier Pro, or Vegas Pro, when skill allows. So thought it made sense to check new system would be suitable. I was happy til then.

Fairly easy to settle on i7 Ivybridge and decent RAM, but chosing graphics is getting silly. HAD been thinking of two GTX560, or 560Ti's, in SLI, for gaming. I appreciate that something like a Quadro is best for video, but a bit outside my budget. Premier Pro suggest only other choice is Gtx570, or 580. Vegas Pro is a bit less picky, but still points in similar direction.

So, OK, a Gtx570. But then I think, if I want to run two monitors, eventually, will 1.25 GB of VRAM on the 570, be enough. Then I find a 2.5GB version from EVGA, but the only board they can suggest for it is eATX. Do I really want to re-think case etc. Then I think "what about a 580". Then I think..... this is getting silly, especially when I don't really know HOW SIGNIFICANT the graphics choice is. As I understand it, most processes are more dependant on CPU and RAM, rather than pure graphics.

Have looked at numerous reviews, and threads on video forums, which mostly say "best is better". I kinda knew that. What I could REALLY do with is someone to either say "I'm using a GTX570, and it's just about adequate" or say "I'm using something less, and it's only marginally slower".

I'm hoping to be able to produce 15/20 min training videos, for club/seminar use, to a reasonable standard. I'm not looking to do a remake of Star Wars. I would really appreciate some guidance on what is "sensible"

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

You will probably need a faster CPU more RAM and better graphics card to run a complicated game than you are likely to need for video editing at the 'home' level. Video editing uses plenty of drive space and - because it takes you time to view your 'footage' - less CPU/RAM. However, when you have completed the edit process and wish to create your AVI file the CPU ans RAM loading increases dramatically. As a result I would suggest you consider carefully the best CPU/RAM relationship within your budget.

You may find this article also helps your decision process for video editing.

Like this post
steve1time

Likes # 0

hi. Its also very important to consider the case as you need to have sufficient cooling.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I edit HD video and for me the most important considerations were CPU, RAM and HD size plus large external HD to store it and a blu-ray writer. I have an i7 2600k and 16Gb of RAM, 1tb HD but the graphics card is an HD6800. I could have had a 560 or 570 but didn't think that the extra would make much difference and I don't think that it has. I think that the slowest feature may be disc writing speeds and it could be worthwhile investing in a SSD.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If the Video you want to make is Non-Interactive (i.e. straight- watch it video), then you do not need a lot of hi-tech hardware, however if you want to make it interactive, that is a completly different task.

I create small videos (up to 60 mins long)- Non Interactive- using Pinnacle 12 software, and my system is about 4 years old , uses XP pro,and a 128MB video card.the biggest problem you will have is harddrive space-For a 60 minute standard video you need about 40 GB of space, for a HD video you can look at 300GB to be comfortable.

If your system is not top of the range, all it means is that the video will lomnger to process.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement