We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Belkin wifi adapter won't install driver,it is asking for notebook card

NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Hello,today my Belkin 7050 wifi adapter arrived.I went through the install procedure from the cd,and when asked to plug in the adapter,I got the message asking for a notebook card,which I haven't got.It then told me that the drivers aren't installed.

The device isn't showing in device manager.I called Belkin support but all the could suggest was that the device was to try it in another computer.I am unable to do this because the communal computer needs administrator rights to install programs etc.I am currently on that pc now to send this.

I will have to top up my"3" dongle again to read replies.Please can anyone help?I am currently on limited funds and cannot affored to keep topping up my dongle

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

FE;I wouldn't normally post my email address on here,or anywhere else for that matter,but if you look back to rdave13's link in his latest post to me,you'll see that he has been kind enough to offer me an adapter.

If you want to remove my email address and pass it onto him another way,please feel free to do so,but please use the address I posted and not my log-in address for PCA.

NRW1

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Ask the FE to delete your last post as I've saved your email. Stop you getting spam.

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Rdave13,have just emailed FE,thanks.

(post now removed, as per your request - FE)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Email sent.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is the adapter.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You should be able to remove SP3 from Add/Remove Programmes - you will need to enable "show all updates" first.

This article explains how to check if Wireless Zero configuration is enabled - it also tells you to make sure the "use the standard windows xp utility instead" box is checked.

You should be able to remove SP3 from Add/Remove Programmes - you will need to enable "show all updates" first.

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Difarn;I have tried looking in add/remove programs for SP3,but cannot see it there,even when "show all updates" is selected.I know that SP3 is in my system because it is shown when using SIW.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Try to do it another way:-

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. Copy and then paste the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER: appwiz.cpl
  3. Click to select the Show Updates check box.
  4. Click Windows XP Service Pack 3, and then click Remove.
  5. Click Finish to restart the computer after the removal process is complete.

When you have uninstalled this you should go to the Windows update site to install the latest security updates.

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

hello difarn,apologies for the delay in replying.

I've already tried what you suggested,and all other methods listed by Microsoft etc for removing SP3,the problem is that I cannot find SP3 anywhere on my pc.It's not listed in add/remove,yet I know I have it because it lists it in SIW.

Unfortunatley I don't have an XP disc either with this being a refurbished pc.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Let's try another way and try to unhide any system files and folders to see if we can access the SP3 installer.

From Start open Control Panel, then Folder Options and access the View screen. Here you will have to change the following:

1. Check "Display the contents of system folders"
2. Select "Show hidden files and folders"
3. UNcheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
4. UNcheck "Hide protected operating system files". When prompted to click

'Yes' or 'No' to display the files you will have to select 'Yes'. 5. Hit Apply.

Once that's done open My Computer and right click on the C: Drive Icon > Explore > navigate to WINDOWS in the left hand panel > find the Folder > $NtServicePackUninstall$, ( its in the first four in the list) > Right click > Open > now double click > the folder spuninst > in here will be the Service Pack Uninstaller. Follow the prompts, and reboot the computer immediately the uninstaller has completed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK