We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Belkin wifi adapter won't install driver,it is asking for notebook card

NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Hello,today my Belkin 7050 wifi adapter arrived.I went through the install procedure from the cd,and when asked to plug in the adapter,I got the message asking for a notebook card,which I haven't got.It then told me that the drivers aren't installed.

The device isn't showing in device manager.I called Belkin support but all the could suggest was that the device was to try it in another computer.I am unable to do this because the communal computer needs administrator rights to install programs etc.I am currently on that pc now to send this.

I will have to top up my"3" dongle again to read replies.Please can anyone help?I am currently on limited funds and cannot affored to keep topping up my dongle

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just a thought - on looking at your installation instructions it says that you will get a message similar to this one (this is illegible) and it tells you to ignore it and click on next to install anyway - did you do this?

Just come across this post by someone who solved it ..

Unplug Belkin wireless USB adapter Uninstall Belkin software in Control Panel > Uninstall a Program Delete a file in your system32 folder called netr70.sys full path: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\netr70.sys Are you sure your Belkin softward is uninstalled? If not, repeat step 2.

Go here- Belkin : Support : F5D7050 Wireless G USB Network Adapter - Drivers Download the file that matches the FCC number on the back of your device. Instructions are on that site.

Plug in device when it asks.

If it still doesn't work you may have to:

Go to the device manager under Network Adapters right click on your Belkin Wireless Device (if it isn't showing here then you have a worse problem) and click Update Driver

Select "Install from a specific location on my computer" Browse to "C:\windows\system32\" hit ok, - Check "subfolders"

Click next,

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Going back to a reply I gave in your other post about another dongle you bought, try removing the Belkin drivers again. Run Ccleaner's reg. cleaner and reboot.

Once up and all your startup programs are running, just connect the Belkin adapter to your USB port. The wizard should say that it has found new hardware. If you get a wizard up let it run. Make sure Automatic Wireless Network Configuration is enabled. Then let XP take over. Useful link.

I had problems with an Netgear adapter that would not work with XP with the supplied drivers. Removing them and letting XP take over worked.

With 'moblile' dongles are you sure you don't need to install something to allow wireless access? I'm surprised if you don't but, as I've said before, I have never used them.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

On the same blog I found another post by someone who almost did the same but used a slightly different way with a "driver only" download

DO NOT USE THE COMBINED DRIVER APP OFF THE BELKIN SITE - USE THE BELKIN 'DRIVER ONLY' VERSION BELOW This worked when all else failed!

1) Remove and previous installations by running old installer, which will uninstall if currently installed, or removing via Control panel 2) Download the driver only .exe package from: Belkin : Support F5D7050 Wireless G USB Adapter - Driver Only Packages 3) Remove wifi adapter from usb port and Reboot computer 4) Once back in Windows 7, plug in adapter - installation should fail 5) Go into device manager and find adapter - should come up as something like 'USB 2.0 Adapter' with a yellow exclamation mark 6) Right click and go to Update drivers 7) Choose to Browse manually and point it at the installation directory (default is c:\Belkin\F5D7050v4 I think) 8) Once installed, should change network systray icon to orange 'Networks available' icon 9) Double click, select your router/access point and enter your wep/wpa etc key 10) Voila - reconnected!

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Just so you know,I have also emailed Belkin to find out if that base unit for the adapter is essential when using a desktop.

I hope to have a reply by tomorrow and will let you know what they say.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Thanks for letting me know.

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Difarn;I have just got this email from Pure Products who are the sellers of the adapter "Dear Customer,

The newest version of adapter doesn't go with the desk stand. However, we still have some desk stands from the previous model, so we have sent one completely free of charge, and it should arrive with you shortly.

Please be advised that Belkin have a very good technical help team, their number is: 0845 607 7787.

Kind regards, Jay

Customer services manager Pure Products"

How's that for service?I will let you know when the desk stand arrives,thank you for your patience.The email from Belkin just said to install the adapter then load drivers.

NRW1

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Fingers crossed - they were very helpful.

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Final update;The desk adapter arrived today,but still the same problem of the install asking for a Notebook card.

I'm going to return everything to the seller and get a refund because it seems that the adapter isn't going to work in my pc.

Many thanks difarn and the others for your help and patience.Could you please recommend a make and model of adapter that will be more suitable please?I'm on XP Pro(SP3) and our wifi is "g" as opposed to"n".

NRW1

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I had a feeling that this may be the case.

Have I understood that your wifi adapter is g and the router is n - not the other way round. If this is the case then it is possible that the router can be changed so that it runs in mixed mode and you should get a connection (if the router has this function). Can you also check the channel the router is set on - 11 seems to be the optimal wifi channel. Also has the router been updated.

If you really want to purchase another adapter I have one of these which is mixed mode b/g/n and works very well - it also installed quickly.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Tried to post previously but that damned tinned meat wouldn't let me. So have a look enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Game of Thrones VFX work wins Emmy for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...