We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Installed on Same Partition, How To Boot?

wednesday 13

Likes # 0

Hi, I have encountered a really strange problem. I attempted to install Windows XP on a seperate partition to dual boot with Windows 7. I know how to repair the windows 7 boot system and add xp to it, however Windows XP installed itself into the same partition as Windows 7, both are working, but I can't get both to dual boot with repairing each individual OS each time.

I initially created a new partitio on my second hard drive to install XP on, however it only showed up the whole hard drives and wouldnt let me do anything with the partitions, so I just set it to install on the second HDD without deleting files, so created the folder to install in. When it booted from installation, I realised it had done so in the same partition as Windows 7, which I know I didn't selecet because of the large difference in HDD sizes.

So I repaired Windows 7 and got that running and tried getting XP to boot using easyBCD, however it doesn't recognise the OS anywhere, and there's no option to select an actual file path the the XP folder.

Could there be an issue with the ACHI mode on my Hard Drives, which I know I have to disable for XP to work, but have to re-enable to get 7 to load, but surely XP would still be recognised in 7. Is there anyway that anyone know to get them both dual booting? I have tried searching the internet but everyone seems to just resolve things with easyBCD

Like this post
wednesday 13

Likes # 0

IS there a way to move the XP folder to another drive so that maybe easyBCD would find it?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

For future stability of system, I'd be inclined to start again and install XP on separate partition which is what you wanted to do in first place.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Dunno if the sevenforums guide is useful.

I'd also be inclined to start again if you remain stuck.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features