We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Virtual Device Drivers

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

I'll try and make this as brief as possible, although it's complicated...

About a year ago, when I first got my Win 7 PC I installed an old programme...'Microsoft Picture It! 2.0' (PicIt!) . However, it didn't run successfully even in 'Compatibility Mode'. So I decided to install a virtual drive, using VMware and WinXP. Although the virtual install was a success, when I installed 'PicIt!' it was no better. So I removed PicIt! and the virtual drive. But then my Win7 started playing up. So I did an 'In Place Repair', which was, in the main, fine. I noted that there were still instances of VMware in the Registry. I've run CCleaner Reg Clean many time, but it doesn't remove them. Then, last week I noticed when I looked in 'My Computer' it shows a drive called 'System Reserved E:' 99.9 MB which was mainly empty. Where all the other drives shown, both external and internal, space used is depicted as a blue line, drive E: is shown in red? I'm thinking that it may be the space I allocated for the virtual drive?

But when a few days ago I decided to give PicIt! another try in Win7, after I installed it I noticed that drive E: is now showing as...8.55 MB free of 99.9 MB. As for PicIt!, now in compatibility mode WinXP it's performing fine. But when I try to install 'Rave eJay' or any software from the eJay stable, I get the following pop-up message...

16 bit Windows Subsystem

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers. Virtual Device Driver format in the registry is invalid. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

When I follow this direction in the registry I can't find any VDD's at all? So, my question is...

Where would the 16 bit Windows Subystem be located and if I find and remove the VDD's, will the Virtual Drive E: (if that's what it is) still run PicIt!?

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

That red line you describe shown in My Computer means that there is less than 10% space available (or whatever your low disk space setting is set to.)

Have a look in Disc Management to see if that is actually your system drive, if so it will contain the boot files and mbr. Windows 7 creates this on install unless told otherwise. Unless you have set Windows to unhide system files then they would be hidden and explain why you not seeing them.

Sorry but can't answer your main question as its not something I have ever needed to look for.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear S (Solo) curved-screen smartwatch confirmed: release date, price and specs UK

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks