We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Police Central e-crime Unit ransomeware

ollybolly2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been infected by Police Central e-crime Unit; for anyone who does not know this malicious piece of malware, it hijacks your computer, locks it and demands £100 to unlock it.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this evil menace? I started using this method - http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Remove-Police-Central-e-crime-Unit-PCEU-Alert - but can't get beyond early stages. It involves downloading Kaspersky recovery disk (creating it with ImgBurn). When I try to follow instructions: Configure the computer to boot from CD-ROM. Use the Delete or F2 keys, to load the BIOS menu, I don't get the BIOS menu.

I have a Dell Inspiron 620 running Windows 7. Am completely freaked by this and will be eternally grateful to anyone who caan help. I'm afraid my technical expertise is distinctly limited!

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

http://youtu.be/lHU77sBi8cU Watch that video on youtube it should help you out with your problem.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

This is interesting to me because one of my flock was to afflicted

All the various suggestions tried but were to no avail because the computer was locked by this beast it would not respond at all.

In the end all he could do was to remove the hard drive and reformat it as an external on another machine.

Some proprietary machines have an F number to execute a recovery sequence which usually reinstalls the system but dumps all data in the process.

Like this post
jaraba

Likes # 0

I know this is marked as resolved but just thought I would tellyou about my experiance with this.

I had this and couldn't get my computer to restart at all or even switch off.

I eventually pulled the plug and restarted in sae mode. Malwarebytes found nothing so I did s restore back a few days before I had the virus.

Everything now ok.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I fixed this problem on a Dell earlier this week but it took some doing.

The infection also prevented safe mode from running so I was forced to remove the hard drive, connect it to another machine as a second drive and then run AV and malware applications over the drive.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

One of my flock had this problem also After much sweat and tears he simply formatted the disc and reloaded Windows.

Depending on the machine this appears to be the ultimate answer.

Those machines where the O/S is pre loaded- the majority nowadays - then utilising the recovery mode - F10 in some instances- will have the same affect - however all data is lost - so backup is essential.

On amother note my daughter had another similar problem with a fake Windows - Virtual Firewall- give us £50 to fix nag.

This was simply remedied by doing a restore operation to a situation before the infection- this will take take several tries to get the right point- this will say something like software exchange or installation- and if you are sure it is not a new software you have loaded - run the restore before that date.

System restore is located - Programs/Accessories/System Tools/system restore

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback