We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Police Central e-crime Unit ransomeware

ollybolly2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been infected by Police Central e-crime Unit; for anyone who does not know this malicious piece of malware, it hijacks your computer, locks it and demands £100 to unlock it.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this evil menace? I started using this method - http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Remove-Police-Central-e-crime-Unit-PCEU-Alert - but can't get beyond early stages. It involves downloading Kaspersky recovery disk (creating it with ImgBurn). When I try to follow instructions: Configure the computer to boot from CD-ROM. Use the Delete or F2 keys, to load the BIOS menu, I don't get the BIOS menu.

I have a Dell Inspiron 620 running Windows 7. Am completely freaked by this and will be eternally grateful to anyone who caan help. I'm afraid my technical expertise is distinctly limited!

Like this post
ollybolly2

Likes # 0

Nothing detected on full scan with Malwarebytes. Any other suggestions??

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Only other thing I can think of is - Do a System Restore in Safe Mode, back to before this invasion

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Why have you disabled your Antivirus?

Like this post
ollybolly2

Likes # 0

i’m very cautious at this stage, but I think it’s sorted! Despite hitmanpro earlier advising it was unable to function due to a lack of internet connection, it has in fact done a scan and revealed a ‘nasty’ which, when removed, seems to have cleansed my pc. Thank you all for your help.

Like this post  
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Once you have complete control of your PC scan it with everything you have, a full scan mind, so expect it to take a bit of time. You could also through an online scan at it. Just Google online malware scan or something, there are plenty out there, Housecall,Bitdefender,Eset and the like.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

I'm in the process of trying to clean up a variation of this ransomware virus. The one on the pC i'm attempting to fix for a friend is the Metropolitain Police Virus. Its a nasty one.

Have tried all the normal things, Malwarebytes already installed on the PC, CCleaner already instald on the PC, Microsoft Security Essentials again was already installed on the PC and all were uptodate.

I have tried the HitmanPro program won't clean it, Trojan Killer, won't clean as when you boot into save mode with command prompt it disables the keyboard USB and PS/2.

I have even tried a reinstall but the virus has disabled the F8 key to accept the Windows Licence. Going to take the drive out of the pc, stick it a spare external case, connect it to one of my spare pc's and try to format it. unless anyone else has any usefull sugestions.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

If you haven't been able to sort out CD/DVD booting, you may be able to boot from a USB stick instead.

Universal USB Installer is a simple tool for this.

Kaspersky and other AV tools are listed near the bottom of the first drop down list box.

Might be worth having a go, even if you think MBAM has fixed you. Only takes a few minutes to create the bootable USB.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

aquatarkus

You will get more help if you start you own thread, this has been green ticked as resolved which will mean less people will view the thread.

One thing though I have never heard of a virus disabling a F key.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just another tip. NEVER disable your AV when you get a trojan or ransom-ware attack. You might find you have rootkits or other silent viruses when you do that. You should read all the help files on any AV you use. For instance, with Avast you can run a boot scan, which will scan your PC prior to Windows loading. You'll need to be present during the scan and best advice is to quarantine any infections found. Also it can be better run from safe mode without internet connection.

Some useful comments here.

Like this post
ollybolly2

Likes # 0

Hi guys, didn’t look at posts after I ticked question yesterday but thanks for extra comments, particularly Chronus’s. I scanned with all 3 you mentioned, Housecall,Bitdefender,Eset. First two scanned in matter of minutes and found nothing. Eset seems much more thorough and took 90 minutes for full scan and found 7 nasties.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014