We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Police Central e-crime Unit ransomeware

ollybolly2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been infected by Police Central e-crime Unit; for anyone who does not know this malicious piece of malware, it hijacks your computer, locks it and demands £100 to unlock it.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this evil menace? I started using this method - http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Remove-Police-Central-e-crime-Unit-PCEU-Alert - but can't get beyond early stages. It involves downloading Kaspersky recovery disk (creating it with ImgBurn). When I try to follow instructions: Configure the computer to boot from CD-ROM. Use the Delete or F2 keys, to load the BIOS menu, I don't get the BIOS menu.

I have a Dell Inspiron 620 running Windows 7. Am completely freaked by this and will be eternally grateful to anyone who caan help. I'm afraid my technical expertise is distinctly limited!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

As I do not have a Dell PC so I cannot tell you wich key to tap to enter the BIOS. But try some suggestions here. Enter BIOS.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Have you tried running MalwareBytes?

Like this post
ollybolly2

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus, and apologies for delay. Have tried using f2 as per your website suggestion but don't get the same Boot Menu as illustrated in the website stages I have been trying to follow. What I do get is Set Boot Priority which gives me the choices of 1st boot through to 6th boot. Also get Hard Disk Drives as option and CD/DVD ROM Drive. Selecting the latter, I get 1st boot [disabled]. This may well be an equivalant of what I'm expecting but I'm too stupid/ignorant to recognise it and know what to do.

Like this post
ollybolly2

Likes # 0

Nontek, I don't have Malwarebytes - is this something I could download on the laptop I'm using while pc is disabled and then transfer it by memory stick to pc in safe mode?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Yes you can do that.Another one that works well in safe mode is Hitmanpro so if malwarebytes finds nothing try that

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Instead of F2 try the boot menu on F12 or F8

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

As buteman says, Yes you can. After downloading MalwareBytes and before putting it on the memory stick, make sure you Update it.

Like this post
ollybolly2

Likes # 0

Buteman, downloaded Malwarebytes but could not transfer installed program (also did not know how to disable Avast! antivirus when installing/updating). Have therefore transferred the download and installed it on infected computer, obviously not fully updated. It has not worked. Can you suggest what I was doing wrong transferring (I simply transferred the whole Malwarebytes folder)to the memory stick?

Like this post
ollybolly2

Likes # 0

lotvik, f8 gets safe mode and f12 gets the same as f2, I think - have tried so many times I'm a little confus ed and I'm trying to reboot as little as possible as if I cock it up and it reboots in normal mode I end up with locked computer and have switch off using the power on button

Like this post
ollybolly2

Likes # 0

Am having problems with both Malwarebytes (i discovered how to disable Avast!)and hitmanpro. Despite updating Malwarebytes on laptop, when I transferred it to infected pc I get message saying it's out of date by 9 days. Thought I'd screwed up so repeated whole process, still get the same response.

Hitmanpro says it can't work on infected computer because there is no internet connection.

Any ideas my friends? (Am running full scan with Malwarebytes - no idea how long that will take, previously only did the quick scan - will obviously report back on results when it's done)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...