We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Spelling: US -v- UK

Furkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi guys,

Win 7ult – 32bit + MS Office - 2010

I’ve had this problem, on/off for quite a while. I wrote a letter in MS Word yesterday, and whilst typing I saw that the word ‘colour’ was underlined in red,,,, as was a couple of other Americanized words.

At the top of the Spelling windows was Spelling & Grammar: English US. I went to Options > Language,,,, but all I see is: English U.K (default) Installed + Enabled.
There is no sign of anything to do with US spelling.

I was writing the letter using a saved Letterhead. I copied the body of the letter to a blank page & checked it again. It now comes up as English UK. I assumed that I had the Letterhead – somehow – using US, so I went back to it. When I check that, again it comes up as English UK.

When separated, it all comes up as UK. As soon as I put the letter back under the letterhead, it changes to US, even though I don’t have – as far as I’m aware – ANY American spelling on the machine.

Any ideas please ?

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Perhaps letter head template is an MS USA one. If so edit template ensuring English U.K default is used.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

This might be the cause, you need to check everything else is set to UK. ClickHere

Microsoft Office 2010 uses the default input language in the Windows operating system to determine the default language for Office 2010 programs. To change the default language in Office programs, you must change the default input language for the Windows operating system and then change the default editing language for Office.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Thanks guys,

ZAK: The L.Head isn't a 'template'. Its just one that I made using MS-Word. I have several.

LOTVIC: I seem to recall doing that in the past. I'll have another go.

cheers

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Lotvic:

I followed the link, but as all my stuff is already set up as English UK, there was nothing to help.

I then went to change the default input, but again, all it showed, was that my default settings are already English UK.

F

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Just a thought - please open your saved letter head, highlight the text that is not in English UK plus anything else (including blank spaces) and change format to English UK and save.

Sorry if you have already tried this, but cannot think of anything else.

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Add - please make sure Windows language bar shows English UK selected when the document is open.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Hi Zak,and anyone following this,

colour (this will become apparent later ?!)

Thanks for continuing to think about this for me.

Letterhead/s: I write my Letterhead/s in MS-Word – English. In fact, as I’m monolingual, I have no need of any language other than good old English – UK. I only ever write using English.

When I select ALL > F7, it comes up as English UK. So far – so good.

I am writing this on a new blank page in MS-Word so that I can double check what’s happening. When I click F7 now, I get English UK. As a test, I have the word COLOUR at the top of this, so this will change if the proofing language does.

When this happened the other day, I separated the letter from the L.H to test. I’m 99.9% certain that they both showed up as E. UK when apart. When I re-joined them, I now get E. US.

I went through this many months ago, and ended up deleting anything that even mentioned E. US in the Language and Proofing set up. It seems to have been alright again,,,, until I wrote this letter.

If I separate it now from the L.H, it does show up as E. US,,,,, when All my settings say E. UK .

I have checked all my L.H’s and none of them come up as E. US.

I have just copied this from the blank page where it was showing as E. UK to the L.H page (that also shows as E. UK). I immediately see that Colour is now picked up as wrong. F7 now brings up English U flippin S !?

any more ideas out there please ?

thanks for reading,,,,,

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

No consolation I am afraid. I copied and pasted your text above into MS word 2010 and all is correct UK English spelling on my system including F7 details. Sorry but I have no further ideas at the moment.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think you should check that your LetterHead.dotx (template) is UK

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

... it posted too soon, I hadn't finished....

and also check the normal.dotm (not .dotx) may have become corrupted and that is known to cause all sorts of quirks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback