We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook cannot start & hidden files problem

mrwoo

Likes # 0

This is on a dell PC that had run out of disk space. I used EaseUS Partition Master to grab some of the "D" partition, allocated it to another letter and it's now used for photos, approx 15GB. All good.

When I open outlook I get the message "Cannot open microsoft outlook" this is a relatives PC so I can't be 100% sure it was all working ok originallly. I have tried outllook.exe /resetnavpane as well as uninstall\reinstall.

Although the account they use is shown to be an admin account, when I change the settings to show hidden files (to check location of the .pst) this has no effect. I have to boot to safe mode and use the built in Administrator account to do this. Conicidence or a sign of something more sinister?

This can't be linked to changing the disk partition can it? everything is installed locally in C:\ using default paths and the only files in D:\ look like Dell restore folders. I had read the hidden files problem was a virus but Mcafee is installed and uptodate and shows no problems and Malware anti malwarebytes also scans and shows all clear.

Apologies for the long post, any help much appreciated.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

some malware can disable that. Registry edit. more info

HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers