We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet connection dropping

wee eddie

Likes # 0

whenever I use the Phone.

Usually, not until I put the phone down

Any ideas as to cause and solution.

Old PC, upgraded and running Windows 7 with IE8. BT 20Mbps Contract but only achieving 3.3Mbps at maximum

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Is your phone a cordless one and are you talking about a wirless connection that is dropping?

If it is a cordless phone is it anywhere near the router? If so try to put it as far away as possible.

Is your telephone master socket functioning correctly? Is it one of the newer ones without the "bell wire". Do you have your filter connected directly to the master socket and the router connected directly to that?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Another thing to consider is, if your phone is a wireless one, going into the configuration pages of the router and changing the wireless channel to say 11 - wireless phones tend to use frequencies 1 and 2.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Hard wired Phone, hard wired PC but standard BT Wireless Router.

Everything is correctly wired, I think.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Do you have any extension phones and do they have a filter that connects directly to their phone socket?

Is your phone connection also through BT? If so I would be inclined to ring their help desk.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Faulty Filter usually, try new ones or test the old ones by process of elimination.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Just cured the same problem with a BT Home Hub 2. Hard wired to PC and wireless to Laptop, iPad and Blacberry. Wireless kept dropping but hard wire OK.

Changed from Channel 1 to 11 and no drop outs for over a week now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch live: Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 at IFA

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...