We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pc desk top hard drive

gareth68

Likes # 0

hi i have a desk top and my hard dive is 166 ive only got less that 10gb free ,there are not high programs on there thats taking up storage,would you know why this is,i save everything to my external hard drive because of this,thanks gareth

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Clear out all temporary files and folders -- use CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Like this post
grahamk89

Likes # 0

Finding out where your space has gone is actually pretty simple. Theres a pretty cool application called TreeSize by Jam Software which puts your HDD usage into a colourful pie chart. Most likely, from much use, your Documents and Settings or Users folder (depending on your OS) is getting pretty cluttered with saved data. This includes preferences from applications in addition to saved webpage data that gets saved by your web browser.

You may wish to clear your browser's data (everything but saved passwords) in addition to doing a routine HDD clean. To do this, right click the drive in My Computer in Win XP, or Computer in Win Vista/7/8, click properties and click the Disk Cleanup button.

When you have done this, to further save some space, you can ensure that the "Compress this drive to save disk space" option is checked in the same properties window. You need only do this once as all new files placed on the drive are automatically compressed after doing this.

Finally, another thing that will fill your drive is routine windows updates - I am guessing that one of the larger folders that treesize points out will be the WINDOWS directory of your HDD.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Op system?

You can a;so reduce the amount of space used by system restore and also remove all the restore points from the windows folder marked with a blue $

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I don't recommend using the "Compress this drive to save disk space" option, it can often cause more problems and you gain very little space.

Like this post
grahamk89

Likes # 0

I have always compressed it manually and noticed no difference in performance or stability of the system..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days