We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Malware ? in PC advisor download

BazC

Likes # 0

I loaded alcpu/coretemp (PC ADvisor p106 August) and the following appeared in my registry: searchresultsDX.dll, startapps.ex and PCOptimizer Pro. Startapps is a google recognised malware.

Anyone else have that problem?

Barry

ps had to do a system restore to get rid

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have a read here to see if any information that is helpful.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic431108.html

Some really bad reviews for it and Maybe you should E-mail the FE to see if he can look into the problem.

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

Okay, so the first thing to say is that this is not a 'PC Advisor download' - by which I mean that you've installed a program recommended by our Helproom editor, not downloaded a program from our Downloads site or cover disc. (I appreciate that this isn't an especially helpful start, but you'll understand that I have to be defensive when there is a thread entitled 'Malware in PC Advisor download' - we scan and rescan every download we provide.)

I've just installed Core Temp on my own PC, from the URL provided in the magazine, without any problems - although the installer did attempt to install a revenue-generated Ask search toolbar and the aforementioned 'PCOptimizer Pro'. 'startapps.ex' (nor 'startapps.exe') cannot be found on my machine. I've run a malware scan and nothing has been found, either.

This is not to say that installing Core Temp from the URL provided is guaranteed to be secure, or didn't cause your problem, just that I cannot replicated your problem. Paul Monckton also installed the program in writing his Helproom response, and he also had no problem. It's worth pointing out that Core Temp is available to download from other, respectable, downloads sites, including Cnet's Download.com.

So, is it possible this known malware came from something else you installed, or even another means?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

The other one looks like it is for the ASk toolbar.

http://windowfin.com/bbs/board.php?botable=windowfin&wrid=42763&page=77

Do you have that on your computer as well.

Sometimes when downloading programs they come bundled with other programs and if you do not want to download them you just untick them.

I assume that is what you did.

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

...It may be worth me pointing out that I prevented 'PCOptimizer Pro' from installing, during the install process, by unclicking the relevant tick box. I did this because I didn't want a program I didn't ask for, and I hate when software vendors do that. But it's possible that is the cause of your unwanted Registry entry? (In fact, I'd wager good money on it, as presumably 'startapps' is designed to do something to your startup process, which is the sort of thing PC 'optimisers' often do.)

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

Or: what Buteman said!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Oops should have checked before I posted.

Like this post
BazC

Likes # 0

It's possible I wasn't checking closely enough on what came with the download. That's why I find winpatrol so useful.

It might be worth a cautionary note to tell users that they need to double check for any tick boxes.

System restore solved the problem. Thanks all

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

BazC

Update for Winpatrol available if you have not already installed it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features